New: Posting a few pictures

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,
I recently changed my major to photography and I am trying to learn as much as possible before the Fall semester. I currently use a Nikon D60 until i get the hang of things. My plan is to upgrade to a D300 body. I have an 18-200 VR Nikkor lens coming next week, with plans of getting a 70-200 in the following months. Anyways, here are some of my first pictures taken with my kit lens (18-55). Let me know what you think. I welcome the harsh (but productive) criticism. I want to improve myself as best as I can. Excuse all of the shots of my truck, they are all I have uploaded onto photobucket as of now (I use them on other forums).

DSC_0058NEF.jpg

DSC_0056_2.jpg

DSC_0045NEF.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_00551.jpg

Not a single person?

Those were mostly taken on a "point and shoot" basis when I first got my D60, but I'd still like a little C&C on them.

Welcome Josh... Heres what i think

#1 doesnt say much to me...
#2 is good with me, I like everything about it, the subject, the focus and wow, the colors.
#3 another good one what a view...
#4 Not bad, just nothing going on. Looks like you were near the edge of a cliff.
#5 Looks like you needed more shutter speed to catch the flapping wings.
#6 Looks a little out of focus..

Don't be discouraged, sometimes posts can go for a couple days before somebody provides some feedback. Overall, they look pretty good but the bird pics feel out of place. I know you just want to give us an idea of what you've been shooting but continuity is always a good thing, especially when presenting your work. And congrats on your major change, was there any specific area of shooting you were looking to do (portraits, product, etc)?

Welcome Josh... Heres what i think

#1 doesnt say much to me...
#2 is good with me, I like everything about it, the subject, the focus and wow, the colors.
#3 another good one what a view...
#4 Not bad, just nothing going on. Looks like you were near the edge of a cliff.
#5 Looks like you needed more shutter speed to catch the flapping wings.
#6 Looks a little out of focus..

Thanks!
The truck ones are just shots I took when I was on my last off-roading trip, so I am glad you think they are good since I did them so fast. Don't want to keep the group waiting. :)

As far as the pigeon goes, they are ugly unless they are doing anything, and in that case it was just luck. I spun around, and took the shot. I had no time to adjust any settings, nor did I know how at that time.

For the duck, I didn't know much about adjusting the aperture, so the duck is in focus, but the water is not. I must have had a low aperture.

My 18-200mm VR Nikkor lens came today so I am trying to figure out a good place to go Saturday to get some pictures. I'll definitely post them.

Don't be discouraged, sometimes posts can go for a couple days before somebody provides some feedback. Overall, they look pretty good but the bird pics feel out of place. I know you just want to give us an idea of what you've been shooting but continuity is always a good thing, especially when presenting your work. And congrats on your major change, was there any specific area of shooting you were looking to do (portraits, product, etc)?

I haven't decided yet, I have been too focused on learning as much as possible, but haven't thought a whole lot about what to do with the skills that I develop. I may lean more towards shooting weddings and portrait for a more reliable income, then turn to other things like wildlife/landscape on the side to possibly sell to clients as well as on istockphoto.com. I'd like to be well rounded and be able to take jobs of all kinds, even products.

I'll try to keep the pictures more consistently related next time. :mrgreen:

The duck is nicely composed.

I love the third truck shot. Nice angle. Nice use of the Rule of Thirds. The road leads me to that incredible view, and it's slight angle leads me to the greens, and back to the trucks. Now, I am unsure about the distant view/horizon line. I don't want to complain that it is at an angle, but for some reason I want to nitpick. I still love the shot.

The duck is nicely composed.

I love the third truck shot. Nice angle. Nice use of the Rule of Thirds. The road leads me to that incredible view, and it's slight angle leads me to the greens, and back to the trucks. Now, I am unsure about the distant view/horizon line. I don't want to complain that it is at an angle, but for some reason I want to nitpick. I still love the shot.

Straight horizons next time. On it! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back