new self portrait

Ryan Freeland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ryanfreeland.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was bored last night so I was playing around with the strobes and came up with this.

4620380478_d50fa82528.jpg

I think I was holding the camera in front of me for this shot.. it had previously been on a tripod. D60, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, 1 SB-600 thru white umbrella camera right, 1 bare SB-28 camera left.

wow. lots of detail there. Cool shot, my biggest thing is that the bottom of your cheek seems really blown out on my monitor *though i happen to know my monitor is not calibrated correctly, so..disregaurd it unless otherwise backed up by sombody else.*

wow. lots of detail there. Cool shot, my biggest thing is that the bottom of your cheek seems really blown out on my monitor *though i happen to know my monitor is not calibrated correctly, so..disregaurd it unless otherwise backed up by sombody else.*
Yeah it's the only big gripe I have with it. I should have kept the 2nd light in the umbrella setup it was in.. for some reason I went to bare flash and that's why it's blown out.

yeah a little bright on the lower cheek, other than that I like the shot :thumbup:

Try butterfly lighting. You can look it up for a more detailed description, but basically you want the key light (main light) coming from above your head and a 45 degree angle, and then a reflector board (or a small fill light) under your chin immediatly out of the way of the picture. If done correctly there will be a small shadow under the nose.

The result is the way MANY glamour headshots are shot.

Here is a quick example from the other day:

DSC_7184.JPG

Try butterfly lighting. You can look it up for a more detailed description, but basically you want the key light (main light) coming from above your head and a 45 degree angle, and then a reflector board (or a small fill light) under your chin immediatly out of the way of the picture. If done correctly there will be a small shadow under the nose.

The result is the way MANY glamour headshots are shot.
Thanks for the tips. I'm always up for learning new ways to use off-camera flash.

Most reactions

Back