NEW Sony DSLR's

Not for me. If I have a choice between using on-camera flash or not getting the shot, I'll opt for not getting the shot.
That is a shame, to have forgotten or to be in denial that a snapshot is sometimes all one wants or needs. :(

Zaphod, Zeiss is the world's top lens maker. They are comparable or better than equivalent lenses from any manufacturer, and if the design cannot be made while retaining the Zeiss quality level, they don't bother making it. They are high end lenses, just like Porsches are high-end cars. They can be counted on to perform, just based on the name alone.

For example, Nikon makes a 50mm f/1.4 that compares pretty well with the Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4. But there are little touches that set the Zeiss apart; firm damping, higher quality components in some areas... While Nikon makes some... "mass market kit lenses" Zeiss doesn't, really. They are willing to lower their standards to make more money.

The make or approve optical designs from Sony, just like Schneider does for Kodak and Leica does for Panasonic. But this is not really the same league, in my opinion. This is the big leagues. ;)

Also, I will admit that the name means less now than it did 25, 50, or 100 years ago.

Canon L < Ziess too?

you cannot generalise this way for all lenses.

.. but on average it is certainly true. You just have to live with them being manual.

Zaphod, Zeiss is the world's top lens maker. They are comparable or better than equivalent lenses from any manufacturer, and if the design cannot be made while retaining the Zeiss quality level, they don't bother making it. They are high end lenses, just like Porsches are high-end cars. They can be counted on to perform, just based on the name alone.

The make or approve optical designs from Sony, just like Schneider does for Kodak and Leica does for Panasonic. But this is not really the same league, in my opinion. This is the big leagues. ;)

Well I would hope we are talking about the big leagues. But if the Zeiss name can appear on the lenses of Sony's compacts (glass which while not bad is no more special than that of any other manufacturer) then how can we be certain they wouldn't 'compromise' and allow the use of their name on average lenses for an SLR system too? I feel like names now aren't all they're cracked up to be and often don't tell you all that much about the origin of the lens... to use another example you can buy a "Schneider" lens for your dSLR... except it will be a Pentax with the word Schneider on it. I guess I'm just a little concerned that assuming the Zeiss name will always automatically guarantee superior quality isn't much different from assuming the Nikon or any other name does, as so many brand loyalists often do. But like I said, I hope I'm wrong and they do maintain a consistently high quality.

Canon L < Ziess too?

Not only is that trying to make a generalisation about Zeiss glass, it's also making the assumption that Canon L glass is otherwise the best... both of which I'd have to take issue with. :)

Well before this thread I was under the impression that canon's L series was supreme, using the finest lens building techniques and materials. Now I am just curous as to what is THE best lens ever made in sharpness, CA reduction, no distortion, etc.

And I'm sure the Canon people would say that :lol: but to my mind L glass is simply the top of Canon's line (and specifically their zooms; are Canon's primes no good if they don't have "L" written on them?). Just as Nikon have high-end glass, and Pentax etc. Each company likes to designate their lenses in a certain way, and this can get a little overhyped and mythologised. I would say that all those companies put out some fantastic glass... but then a Leica user might well laugh at that claim.

I honestly couldn't tell you what the 'best lens ever made' is. It might not be one designed for 35mm or other small formats and it might not be one of the more familiar names in those formats to which we all have loyalties and perceptions. Not that it would matter anyway, because which of us could afford the best lens ever made? :lol:

Well before this thread I was under the impression that canon's L series was supreme, using the finest lens building techniques and materials. Now I am just curous as to what is THE best lens ever made in sharpness, CA reduction, no distortion, etc.

Each and every manufacturer of lenses will claim that they are using the finest lens building techniques and materials... Canon and Nikon included. Also realize that each manufacturer has their good and bad glass... its hard to generalize that A's lenses are better than B's lenses. When it comes to branding, often its all about reputation past and present.. not their current offerings.

Best glass...? hmm. don't know.. but isn't that like a painter looking for the best brush ever made.

Most reactions

Back