New Nikon 7500

List on a D7200 is around $1k these days. What do you think it will drop too?

I shoot FX but I miss the 'reach' of DX for birding and wildlife shooting.

I wanted, but refused to pay, for the D500. Notwithstanding the skepticism I've read from some, the D7500 looks PERFECT for my needs (notwithstanding my agreement that 2 slots would have been much better). I intend to pick one up ASAP.

they are effectively killing the enthusiast-level line.
I don't understand that statement?
Instead of producing a true upgrade to the D7200 (enthusiast level) they made what appears to be an expensive entry-level unit. Albeit with the D500 engine, but without the Ai- Ai-S indexing ring, no second card slot, no back-button focus. Where's the enthusiast model?

Keeping all the numbers in numerical order, there is the D3xxx and D5xxx, (entry level, both) then at the enthusiast level there is the D7200 (still in production) and now the step-down version of the D500 (the new D7500) then the real D500, which I think is in the "pro" level. And the pro level continues upward from there. If the D7200 is ever discontinued, there will be nothing to fill the gap because the D7500 doesn't.
No back button focus?

AE-L/AF-L is my BBF on my D7200 Ta - Da and would be no different on the D7500 and with the two functions buttons on the front I don't what the issues is.

No back button focus?
Right. No joystick, either.

Aside from the superb firmware of the D500 (the very fast auto focusing, and the outstanding high ISO performance) it's as if Nikon decided to start with the D500 and strip away anything that might be attractive/useful to non-professionals, namely; your average amateur enthusiast.

Last edited:
I think Fijifilm is leading the pack these days for the enthusiast photog. Their glass is impressive, and their firmware updates for the bodies and glass are fantastic. They well laid out, you rarely go into the menu. Focus acquisition and peaking is super fast and useful. They don't advertise and they don't need to, the product speaks for itself. I suspect Canon and Nikon never seen them coming. Now Ricoh is dropping Pentax (their doomed) Panasonic bit the dust, and Sony is Sony. Fujifilm seems to be pushing all the right buttons, first and foremost, they listen to their customers.

AE-L/AF-L is my BBF on my D7200 Ta - Da and would be no different on the D7500 and with the two functions buttons on the front I don't what the issues is.
Yup, the d7x00 series is all the same.
They have the AE-L/AF-L button which can be reprogrammed as a AF-ON.
The d500 on up have both the AE-L/AF-L and AF-ON buttons.

reading more about it, they removed the AI AI-S - which I would love to see statistics of how many users actually used this features. It seems like many people don't even buy AF/AF-D lenses much less AI/S. And what did Canon do at one time with lens compatibility? Maybe the bean counters overrode the engineers on some options.

I see what others were chatting about - looking at pics of the bottom of the D7500 it doesn't have the standard long connector for a grip. I wonder if they changed the type of connector? If they actually did drop a grip then that wouldn't be nice, though 3rd party grips probably would be available such as they did with the d5x00 series and Df with dual batteries.

The d7500 to me wasn't developed with a type of photographer in mind. I think they found a nice price point and made a camera to fit. They needed something to get the older d7000 d7100 d7200 users to move up to without investing more then they paid a few years ago,

I thought Nikon where to abandon churning out overlapping models in favour of a more simplified selling structure like beginner, advanced and pro. I had the impression, based on the corporate nikon bashing threads that the current subcategories had Nikon losing cash hand over fist.

Designer said:
No touch screen or joystick, either.

According to dPreview "
The touch capabilities are a welcomed inclusion. They can be used for selecting an AF point in live view, or navigating the camera menus and playback images."

So it does have touch screen capabilities, at least the ones listed above. Currently, I am not 100% sure exactly what the upcoming D7500 has or does not have on every single feature point.

Ooh I see. Matt Granger dissed the D7500 because it only has one SD card. Stating that it's not a Pro camera but a Prosumer camera now. I wonder what Canon users think of that statement ?

well, wait .... It *was* a midrange Prosumer camera.
did he forget about all the complaints of a replacement for the D300S, which was the D500.
And the D7500 is the replacement of the D7200.

hmm .. interesting.

If you check Nikon's website they have recategorized the cameras.

DX-lineup
"DX Flagship" is the D500
"DX Enthusiast" is the D7500
"DX Advanced Entry" is the D5600
"DX Entry Level" is the D3400

and even though they probably stopped production of the D7200 a while ago, they still have plenty in the warehouse. Matter of fact, they still apparently have a bunch of D7100's ($699 for body) in the warehouse as that's still on their website too.

I really do not value the dual card slots nearly as much as many people do...I've owned several pro camera with only a single memory card slot. The Canon 5D, the Nikon D1, the Nikon D1h, and the Nikon D2x: all of those had only ONE, single CF memory card slot. And those were cameras with retail prices ranging from $3,499 to $4995 to $7999 at intro. Now that we have massive memory cards available, I see less and less real, true need for two card slots. As do many people.

I think astroNikon has a good frame work with his concept that:

Totally agree on the card slot and the line up makes sense when they discontinue the D7200 at least my feeling I think Nikon will.

I think astroNikon has a good frame work with his concept that:
That's not *my* concept, that is what is on the Nikon website !!
scroll down 1/3 of the way for their listing ==> DX Series DSLRs

Most reactions

Back