New to D-SLR. need help and ideas thanks:)

ive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got the D60 and now I'm snap happy. I'd love ideas or threads I should read to get a better idea on how to take Better pictures. I don't know if this has any relevance but I'll be mostly taking pictures of my son and if I'm not running after him maybe of some nature shots.
. Atm I know my pics are horrible but figured I'd post a few and get some pointers on how to make them better. What I'd like to know is how you align your subject in the view finder so you don't chop part of the head off?. Have tons more questions but after reading a few post, I'm a bit skitish in asking all the ?'s in case I annoy someone so soon:)

any help or links to places I should read more info on would be great. With no further ado..my newbie shots:)

2602675293_830eec0776.jpg
2602675287_fa3ee6bb29.jpg
2602675279_48e29d00c3.jpg
2602675269_bc5f8d8781.jpg

I wouldn't call them horrible at all. I love #2 and #4!

Don't worry about asking questions.

As far as cutting his head off...errmm.... I mean shot composition... just keep at it till you find a way that works.

And because you're shooting digitally, don't worry about firing away right now, but then be brutal later at the computer and delete the ones that don't really work.

#2 and #4 are great.

#2 actually made me laugh. That one ROCKS. The only thing I could say is that you maybe shouldn't have cut his feet off... but that pic totally looks like a kid stepping into some kind of stargate. LOL Awesome pic. Really well composed and exposed, too.

#1 needs a bit of post-processing... it's a bit washed out... and maybe a less tight crop so you don't cut off the petals. Not sure. Flower pics elude me somewhat.

The Llama pic is actually a good idea that just didn't quite make it... I think it's not a tight enough crop, perhaps. It could be fairly amusing with a bit of work.

Overall some of the better "first pics" I've seen.

I love pic #2, i think it is a good shot especially when you consider the depth of field. but you did cut of his feet and it takes away from the picture,

I would look into the law of thirds for shot composition!

great pics, keep up the good work...take tons of pics! typically for every 100 pics i take i am lucky to get 10 that i keep.

#2 and #4 are great.

#2 actually made me laugh. That one ROCKS. The only thing I could say is that you maybe shouldn't have cut his feet off... but that pic totally looks like a kid stepping into some kind of stargate. LOL Awesome pic. Really well composed and exposed, too.

#1 needs a bit of post-processing... it's a bit washed out... and maybe a less tight crop so you don't cut off the petals. Not sure. Flower pics elude me somewhat.

The Llama pic is actually a good idea that just didn't quite make it... I think it's not a tight enough crop, perhaps. It could be fairly amusing with a bit of work.

Overall some of the better "first pics" I've seen.

Yea thats why I asked specifically about key pointers on how not to cut out the main subject.
#1 I didn't crop or do anything w/ along w/ all the other photos as well. I have limited time and to try to edit photos isn't in my time budget.
for the #1 again though my question is if you want a close up of a flower or another none moving object what does one do to keep a crisp clean look but at the same time keep the from cutting any of the subject out of the photo? I found just looking through the eye piece every time I zoomed out further to get the whole subject, the subject a)got smaller (hate that) b)you saw more of the background or other annoying stuff.

lol as for 3rds, pls forgive my ignorance but what do you mean? it sounds like a photography talk. have no previous background in art or taking class or reading huge thick books. If you mean use 2/3rds of background while 1/3 is actual subject?

I read also today in another thread something about snapshots. for someone just starting should I really be to concerned about snapshots vs photography shots?

oh one more question before I go and clean this messy home of mine hehe. is whens the best time of day to shot outside? My dad saw a few of the other pics and said they where bad only due to the lighting outside. didn't know it was a huge deal so any time frame for a good time to shoot pictures of my son?

as Thank you for those that posted:). words of encouragement. I've been scanning other people pictures and I feel so overwhelmed. I want pictures I'll keep forever and be proud to show to more then family members.

oh my! Very nice! #4 is my favorite. Professional quality IMHO :)

#2 is also awesome, lots of vibrant colors!
Yes its true about feet getting cut off but its still great. :)

Either cut off a lot of none at all!
Example:
Some portrait shots are mostly of head and shoulders, they cut off a lot of the best of the cost right? Its a big cut off.

oh my! Very nice! #4 is my favorite. Professional quality IMHO :)

#2 is also awesome, lots of vibrant colors!
Yes its true about feet getting cut off but its still great. :)

Either cut off a lot of none at all!
Example:
Some portrait shots are mostly of head and shoulders, they cut off a lot of the best of the cost right? Its a big cut off.

huh! you know I never thought of taking pictures that way. but that makes sense. and maybe during a weekend, take a few mins to crop? great advice, going out today to the beach, will try that idea of taking it all in and see how that works thanks :)

Amazing! The best first pics I've ever seen here :)

#1 needs more contrast, saturation, DOF and shouldn't cut off the petals

#2 is cute but don't cut off the legs

#3 shows hilarious expressions on the llama's faces but you need to zoom in and just take a picture where the llama's face fills the entire frame because I see that it's impossible to get the rest of the animal.

#4 is outstanding (approaching my better work) but should be cropped slightly less tightly to the top right

Be proud of yourself, you're great! :)

I'll post another pic of the Llama's again, my biggest sin it seems to be sacrafice the subject for closer pic of the object. oops

oh and thank you again for words of encouragement

edited:added pic

2605601085_8f8b204d00.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back