New to dslr

ARDavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I picked up my first dslr last week and I had the chance to take it to an event on campus. The event was called TOM'S Barefoot walk to raise awareness for the need of shoes in less fortunate countries.

My camera is Nikon d3000 with the kit lens still. Also I have the unedited photos if anyone would like to see them. Most of all give me criticism!

75.jpg

76.jpg

78.jpg

Last edited:
More than likely you wont get any CC from the ones who could help you because of the amount of pictures you posted. I am to new to help you with any technical critique. I would go pick 3 or 4 of these and hit "edit post" and delete the rest...if you would really like some input and save the others for some other day. Just trying to help.

Thanks I fixed it....Now lets see some c&c

First I'd ask yourself: Why did I take these photos? What do I want to convey to the viewer? What information does the (assumed) ignorant viewer need to make the photos interesting and/or entertaining? Can the photos stand alone on composition, texture, shapes, patterns, colors, etc. ?

#1 ... I don't mean to be rude, but its just a guys hand with some marker on it and a bracelet. Not really sure what else there is to say.

#2 ... BUTTS! While I DO enjoy the backside of the female figure, this shot is neither flattering nor interesting, aside from the fact that one is barefoot, this is no different than what someone would see walking down the street on their own.

#3 ... First, rotate the image so the viewer doesn't hurt their neck trying to look at it. Second...again just another "street" shot with a girl sans shoes. What IS IT? What's going on? Why did you take this photo?
[Edit: I see you did rotate the image before I was done posting this...thank you lol]

Having said that, I realize this was intended to be a photo journalistic set of shots, but they lack emotion, personal feeling, depth, and most importantly...CONTEXT. What's going on here?

Suggestions:

1) Get lower. If the emphasis is to be on the bare feet, get as low as you can, shoot the feet in motion as they walk past you. This would accomplish a few things, it would establish a pattern in that MANY feet are bare, it would show purpose via the motion of them all walking, and it would show depth if you were on the sidewalk and shot into the "parade" of feet.

2) The first shot seems a bit underexposed. The next two are over exposed. In the first, the shadows are lost to pure black. The next two, the highlights (namely pavement & skin) are blown out and almost pure white. I realize the time of day is not ideal for photography, but during "event" photo sessions, you have to deal with that and make it work.

And my biggest suggestion....pick a subject for each shot and make sure the subject is framed and CLEARLY the SUBJECT of the photograph, leave no question as to what we're (the viewer) supposed to look at.

Keep shooting, you'll get there! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back