New to DSLRs and upcoming trip to India

DjRags

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all. Newcomer to the field having just picked up my first DSLR this summer (well actually first 3 DSLRs: D40, T3 and currently a T2i). I'm learning a fair bit through just messing around and looking up tutorials online. However, I'm taking a vacation to India in December and am just wondering what equipment would be worthwhile taking with me. Currently taking
-Canon T2i
-Canon EF-S 18-55mm
-Canon EF-S 55-250mm
-shoulder bag for lenses/cleaning solution/memory cards

Obviously a very stock kit but my mediocre skills cannot justify L lenses...yet. I'm more looking for advice on filters/protective gear and anything else I may not think of until I get there. Sandy climate, heat, etc. If anyone has any experience shooting in similar locations/climates let me know. Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm no expert on protective gear - but I'm happy to give you my 2 cents on camera/lens choices.
It really comes down to budget, but you have a fairly versatile lens pairing with 18-250mm covered. My next choice would be to add a fisheye lens. It can give a really unique look, especially in very interesting surroundings. I'd also bring more memory cards and batteries than you think you need. They always seem to run out!

Best of luck on your trip!

Gracias. Ordered a few extra batteries. Should arrive before I go. Charging may be difficult there if I lose my voltage adapter (which has happened) so 3 batteries should be good for my 3 weeks. I'll have to look at a fish eye next time I'm at the local camera shop.

Gracias. Ordered a few extra batteries. Should arrive before I go. Charging may be difficult there if I lose my voltage adapter (which has happened) so 3 batteries should be good for my 3 weeks. I'll have to look at a fish eye next time I'm at the local camera shop.

Be sure to look at some photographs shot with a fisheye before you buy! That is one lens that people either love or detest because everything is horrendously distorted because of the field of view. Personally I wouldn't have one if they were free.

Get a Giottos Rocket Blower or something similar. They are very good and a necessity on a trip like that. Also a couple of plastic trash bags or very large ZipLock bags. Very handy when a sudden rainstorm comes up. I would also take some pre-moistened sensor swabs for emergency sensor cleaning. Read up on how to clean a sensor and how to lock your mirror up so you can clean the sensor.

Will do. I am not looking forward to swapping lenses there at all but I know I'll need the bigger zoom on quite a few occasions in the places I'm going.

Most reactions

Back