New to filter holders, can someone advise?

Sn00bies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just purchased the sigma 10-20mm and am looking into getting filters for it, and figure the best bet is to use the filter holders like Cokin's P system from what I hear. The only problem is I've never used a holder system, just the screw-ons. I like the idea though that, if I understood right, I can use the same holder/filter on any diameter lens as long as I have the right adapter ring. I'd be more inclined to buy a quality polarizer knowing that I only have to buy one for all my lenses rather than a size 52, 77, and whatever else I may run into. Could someone brief me on what to consider when buying this type of system? i.e. what all pieces are needed, brand/model suggestions (preferrably for the budget-minded), etc.

I looked on ebay and found http://cgi.ebay.com/77mm-77-Ring-Adapter-Filter-Holder-for-Cokin-P-series_W0QQitemZ170347606090QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Camera_Accessories?hash=item27a982304a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50 - is that all you need is the adapter ring, holder, and of course the filter?

I'm open to suggestions as to which holder, as I've heard some use pressure/springs to hold the filter so you can adjust it wherever you need to up or down to get your composition like in the case of using an ND filter. Is this standard with holders or would a cheap one like this not be spring held?

I have no idea about this system of filters so any input you can provide would be great, thanks!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Boy do I feel sheepish. I looked everywhere BUT their site... looks like they have a pretty good explanation there. Thanks for pointing out to me what should have been obvious! :p

The square shaped filters (like Cokin) are great when you are using split or graduated filters because you can slide the filter to match your composition.

I don't know if they make circular polarizer filters for those holders...I wouldn't think so because a circular polarizer has to be able to rotate freely. They might have linear polarizers but you don't want on of those.

Essentially yes, you could get one holder and then just get a few adapter rings to fit your various lenses. Keep in mind though that the P series might not be big enough for the 10-20mm lens...you might need the X series.

As for buying a polarizer, just get a round 'circular polarizer' (not Cokin) and get 'step up rings' so that you can use it on all your lenses.

Cokin has many filters...but IMO, most of them are now obsolete in the digital era.

I don't know if they make circular polarizer filters for those holders...I wouldn't think so because a circular polarizer has to be able to rotate freely. They might have linear polarizers but you don't want on of those.

They do (click). They fit in the square filter holder and you can still rotate them.

Thanks for the further explanation Mike! Cokin says that the P series should work up to 82, so hopefully with the 10-20 being 77 that should be fine. I never thought of just buying a larger round CPL and using step up rings on that though, that's an idea worth thinking about. How am I to decide what size to buy though? At the moment I only have 77mm and 52mm lenses but I'd hate to buy a $100CPL and then realize I'm going to buy a 82mm lens or something. I don't know how big in diameter most lenses get though. Any personal experience suggestions on what brand CPL? So far I've only bought cheap ones from eBay... so I'm waiting to be amazed if I ever get a $50-100 CPL :p

Last edited:
Cokin has many filters...but IMO, most of them are now obsolete in the digital era.
Ahhh, not so, not so. I just used a Cokin CPL with a D200 this afternoon and results were quite satisfactory.

And do remember that step-up rings are one thing, while step-down are prone to vignetting, depending on focal length.

Ahhh, not so, not so. I just used a Cokin CPL with a D200 this afternoon and results were quite satisfactory.
CPL filters are the exception...'most' of the rest of them, are the ones I'd consider to be obsolete.

Wouldn't the Cokin filters be a problem on a wide angle zoom such as the 10-20mm?

I would consider getting into the largest sized Cokin filter system and using step up rings.

Wouldn't the Cokin filters be a problem on a wide angle zoom such as the 10-20mm?

I would consider getting into the largest sized Cokin filter system and using step up rings.

Well I had first thought to buy the P Series holder system, so I would have a filter effectively 5mm larger than necessary since I believe the P Series is up to 82mm and the 10-20 is only 77mm in diameter.

I'm also debating on just doing like you said, and buying the largest CPL (or whatever filter) I can get (I'm assuming you meant the screw-ons?) and use step-up rings on my 52mm lenses. The only problem is that I don't know what size diameter lenses I may run into. At the moment I only have 77mm and 52mm but who knows if I'll end up with something larger than 77mm?

I'm having a hard debate on whether to go with the holder system or the screw-ons...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back