New to forum... need help deciding on new Camera Body

UdubBadger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off being new to the forum by saying "hello everyone".

This morning I found myself on Amazon about to pull the trigger on a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II or possibly an EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens for a solid indoor lens to use when I shoot live bands... and now I'm also really thinking I should upgrade my camera body too.

Heres my story...

I've been shooting digital for about 3 years now (shot film for like 5 back in HS and a few semesters of community college). Right now I'm about to make a big switch and instead of going into the Art Education program at UW-Madison to teach, I've made up my mind and will be transferring into an art school in 6 months once I finish up this next spring semester here in Madison to get a full BA in photography instead of a teaching certificate and little to no photography training. I shoot a lot of natural light pictures, never been a big fan of using a flash, mostly subjects in the line of lots of portraits, live shows and my :heart: - cars.

Right now I'm shooting with a Canon 20D that I've had for the 3 years I've been doing digital work. It's not a bad camera at all but I just feel like there is such good technology out there right now that its becoming an antique. The 2 cameras I'm looking at are the 50D and the new 5D Mark II. There is about a $1200-$1500 difference in price between the 2 of them, and I guess I'm just wondering everyones thoughts on what I should do... dare I go for a $2800 camera while I'm still in school? Is the technology on the 50D sufficient enough for me to use right now? I'm sure I'll probably want something like a 5D mk II in 2 yrs when I graduate from Art school won't I... so should I just buy it now so I'm not just pissing away $1200 now on a 50d and upgrading again? While money isn't a huge object, I just guess I'd rather not spend extra on a 5d mkII if I don't need to.

I dunno... just confused on which one to consider/might be the best option for me. Anyones thoughts would help at this point.

Thanks everyone.

Welcome to the forum.

Many people have been confronted with the same choice. Pay more for the full frame body or save money and get a crop body.

Both cameras are very good, so no worries there. I think a big issue will be how you intend to use the camera. The 50D has a great AF system and shoots at 6.5 fps (or something like that). It would be a great sports camera, and maybe be good for low light shooting where it's hard to focus.
On the other hand, the 5D II, should have outstanding high ISO performance, which might be an advantage in low light, especially because you don't want to use flash. The AF isn't as good and it's a bit slower. The 5D II is probably a great studio camera as well.

I assume you know the difference between full frame and crop bodies, and how that might affect your lens choices etc.

I know several pro photographers who are perfectly happy with their 20/30/40/50D cameras and don't need or want to use a 5D/5D II. But I also know many who do shoot with the 5D and absolutely love it. And of course, there are those who shoot with 1D & 1Ds bodies.

If it were me, I'd go for the 50D and put the savings toward some really nice glass.

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind of being able to get not only a 50d but a 24-70mm f/2.8 L lens to go with it.

I'd recommend the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS for the 50D, rather than the 24-70mm F2.8 L. 24mm just isn't wide enough on a crop body, for my needs...you may be different.

Unless, of course, you want to avoid EF-S lenses with the intent that you will eventually move to full frame down the road.

I have a 10-18mm super wide angle incase i need that, its not a f/2.8 but I also don't use it for indoor shots normally so I think I'm good in that dept.

I would eventually like to move up to a full frame so getting an L lens is probably in my near future.

You may want to do a little research on the 50D first. I've read a good bit of 50D owners who are not satisfied with their new camera and some who have had faulty ones and have sent the back. One photographer said it's lighter and feels cheap compared to their 20D. You may want to compare it to the 40D and maybe go that route. Good Luck!

Used 5D! I've seen them for as low as $1300.

I guess I might look at that, however having a self cleaning sensor on the newer ones looks very attractive to me. Not sure its work the trade off of a full frame sensor and not having it. Any specific advice on that topic?

You may want to do a little research on the 50D first. I've read a good bit of 50D owners who are not satisfied with their new camera and some who have had faulty ones and have sent the back. One photographer said it's lighter and feels cheap compared to their 20D. You may want to compare it to the 40D and maybe go that route. Good Luck!

interesting... I might have to look into that. Maybe I'll go stop by Best Buy and see if I can play with one for a few min and compare it to a 40D.

I guess I might look at that, however having a self cleaning sensor on the newer ones looks very attractive to me. Not sure its work the trade off of a full frame sensor and not having it. Any specific advice on that topic?

I use a blower. It works best.

Up until the release of the 5D MKII and possibly the 50D, the sensors had a coating on them that would cause the dust to be charged with static and stick, making the sensor cleaning about 90% ineffective. Olympus was only about 40% effective with their technology.

I haven't seen any test on the 5D or the 50D, but if it follows past trends, it's not something to rely on. I know the Giotto Rocket Blower will remain in my bag, even when the 5D replaces the 30D.

I use a blower. It works best.

Up until the release of the 5D MKII and possibly the 50D, the sensors had a coating on them that would cause the dust to be charged with static and stick, making the sensor cleaning about 90% ineffective. Olympus was only about 40% effective with their technology.

I haven't seen any test on the 5D or the 50D, but if it follows past trends, it's not something to rely on. I know the Giotto Rocket Blower will remain in my bag, even when the 5D replaces the 30D.

that is a good point... I guess I should at least consider the fact that it'd be stupid to get a 5d mkII just because it has a self cleaning sensor when I could have a 5d for 1/2 the price and still get a full frame sensor on it.

The following is a canned answer that I will use henceforth since the question about which camera I should buy is asked about 10 times a day here.

Which camera should you buy?

Look at the LENS systems for the cameras you are considering. Digital cameras come and go, but the lenses you will own for 10 or 20 years... so as a NOOB my advise is to look at which LENS system you like the best.

I shoot Nikon because I like Nikon lenses... not because of a particular camera body. Canon also makes fantastic lenses. If you are wanting to use cheaper 3rd party lenses, then it doesn't matter very much which DSLR you end up with.

That choice is far more important than which entry level camera body you will buy, especially when both cameras will make excellent pictures.

well considering I already have 7 Canon lenses in my bag at the moment (and 1 more on order), I've obviously decided to stick with Canon.. just can't decided which body is best to upgrade to from my 20d.

Most reactions

Back