new to macro and this forum

cakkarudie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just got into macro a week ago, appreciate any comments.

4105008407_26e903615a_b.jpg

nice detail and color. it would be cool if you got the whole fly in focus tho. but still a great shot

nice detail and color. it would be cool if you got the whole fly in focus tho. but still a great shot

thank you for the comment, shot was taken with aperture F8, will try with at least F16.

cakka

Amazing detail.....love it!! I also enjoyed the background and composition!

I agree that full-focus would be nice, but it certainly is not necessary. What IS important (and you achieved this very well) is having the eyes/face in focus. Shifting your POV so you put the whole body parallel to the front of the lens would have achieved full-body focus but also, in this case, have changed your composition in a way that I don't believe would have been as effective. Somtimes going to too-small an aperture adds artifact that doesn't look as good as keeping your aperture in the f/11'ish range (depends on your lens, of course) I think yours in an excellent image. My only thought (and I'm not convinced it helps) would be to crop a bit off the top and off the left side. I'm curious how you lighted this one. The lighting is right-on and not too harsh. Thanks for sharing.

I agree that full-focus would be nice, but it certainly is not necessary. What IS important (and you achieved this very well) is having the eyes/face in focus. Shifting your POV so you put the whole body parallel to the front of the lens would have achieved full-body focus but also, in this case, have changed your composition in a way that I don't believe would have been as effective. Somtimes going to too-small an aperture adds artifact that doesn't look as good as keeping your aperture in the f/11'ish range (depends on your lens, of course) I think yours in an excellent image. My only thought (and I'm not convinced it helps) would be to crop a bit off the top and off the left side. I'm curious how you lighted this one. The lighting is right-on and not too harsh. Thanks for sharing.

Ian, thank you for the comments. I will be experimenting with diff POV and aperture. For lighting Im using the Metz Ring Flash - Mecablitz 15 MS-1 Digital.

cakka

First macro shots? Phew well done!
As said lighting in this shot is very good, focus is dead on where you want it and composition is not weak either (its often the case that many people end up very central even when doing macro and not using the AF). As for the depth of field aspects, the depth of field to my eyes looks good in this shot - sure the whole insect is not in focus, but it does not need to be. The eyes and face are in focus and a good portion of the body is also captured - something that (if one looks at widlife images in general) is not often achived even outside the macro world when the animal is not side on to the camera.
Also the wider aperture has given you a far more creamy background blur - the downside to smaller apertures is that this can be a little more tricky to achive when working at say f13. Myself I would not great for f16 unless I really wanted to maximise depth of field and f13 is where I normally work. This is because on most lenses and with many camera bodies diffraction will start to affect shot sharpness at f16 and from then on the smaller apertures will result in softer and softer shots.

Looking foward to seeing more of your macro work - keep at it! :)

First macro shots? Phew well done!
As said lighting in this shot is very good, focus is dead on where you want it and composition is not weak either (its often the case that many people end up very central even when doing macro and not using the AF). As for the depth of field aspects, the depth of field to my eyes looks good in this shot - sure the whole insect is not in focus, but it does not need to be. The eyes and face are in focus and a good portion of the body is also captured - something that (if one looks at widlife images in general) is not often achived even outside the macro world when the animal is not side on to the camera.
Also the wider aperture has given you a far more creamy background blur - the downside to smaller apertures is that this can be a little more tricky to achive when working at say f13. Myself I would not great for f16 unless I really wanted to maximise depth of field and f13 is where I normally work. This is because on most lenses and with many camera bodies diffraction will start to affect shot sharpness at f16 and from then on the smaller apertures will result in softer and softer shots.

Looking foward to seeing more of your macro work - keep at it! :)

thank you for the comments and tips. i will sure try with F13, i find macro rather tricky and a totally diff game, however i am enjoying it. Perhaps i shud try more on static subject.

Get up early in the morning or head out after a rainstorm - insects will be cold and slow then - bees will especailly get caught out by a quick rainshower and will be very sluggish and resting on flowers. Moths are also good as they sleep during the day

Most reactions

New Topics

Back