new to macro and this forum

I am surprised at F8 you got such deep DOF. I have the exact same lens but on a 5D2. The DOF is much shallower at F8. I think you have a great shot there - not easy to get a fly to hold still for you!!!

I am surprised at F8 you got such deep DOF. I have the exact same lens but on a 5D2. The DOF is much shallower at F8. I think you have a great shot there - not easy to get a fly to hold still for you!!!

thanks Chip, it was a lucky shot as the subject stayed still for few seconds. I am now experimenting with various apertures as advised in this thread. and getting used to Flash which i have been resisting since i started to hold a DSLR.

cakka

Just up your shutter speed to the flash sync speed. You could probably hand hold a 1/250. I would still use a tripod when possible though. They can help a lot with proper composition anyway.

That is because the size of the camera sensor also affects the depth of field you get at a fixed aperture. On fullframe DSRL you will get a smaller depth of field than a crop sensor camera will - but you get the advantage that you get more in a frame at 1:1 (since you have the larger sensor). Its the same reason for why point and shoot cameras are actually quite good at macro since they have even smaller sensors than DSLRs and so give even bigger depths of field.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back