What's new

New to Nikon D40

Pappywolf

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am new to digital cameras. I have a Nikon D40 with a Tamron 70-300. Great camera. My old camera was a Pentex SLR. So... Will all Nikon type lens fit this camera. I understand about the auto focus deal. I have no problem with using manual mode. I am used to that with my Pentex. Thanks for your time.
 
No, you have to have certain lenses for certain cameras with Nikon. You could've stayed with Pentax, bought a DSLR and used your old pentax lenses, because they are all compatible with all Pentax cameras, regardless if they're an SLR or DSLR.
 
Older lenses will mount up to the D40, but if they do not have the CPU connection then you cannot use the Meetering in the camera. So you will be doing a lot of Trial and Error to get your exposure down. I have several lenses that are like this, and mainly use them in my lightbox where the exposure is not likely to change that drastically.

If you get a AF lens then it should have the CPU connections so your Meeter will work, but not the AutoFocus part.
 
No, you have to have certain lenses for certain cameras with Nikon. ...........
Say what? Could you be a bit more specific?

Nikon has been using the F-mount for a long time now. True, as krayon mentioned, if you put an older lens, devoid the proper elecronics, on any of today's Nikon's they will not meter and possibly not auto focus either.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom