New to photography and having mounting issues on 16X20 print please help!

cfiiman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here and had a question about mounting photos. I took about 50 shots of automotive type pictures which is what I like to photograph and 2 came out to the point that I wanted to print and frame them. I got them printed easy enough and they looked amazing so I put them in a frame and noticed that they were "wavy" so to speak b/c they were not mounted to anything (I'm sure I sound like a total newb here which I am :) ) So I went to my local HL and picked up a 16X20 self adhesive mounting board, easy enough I thought, and had a go at it. First problem was I got air bubbles in it, so I peeled a third of it back and re-applied it and that was good to go. I used a rolling pin to push very hard and smooth it out. At first glance it looks fine but in certain lights you can now see a "texture" to the photo, that is the only way I can describe it. It is not necessarily a "bad" or "ruining" thing just I don't want it in there (which at this point I'm just stuck with it unless I re-print it). I searched and searched but couldn't find anything on what happened, or maybe this is just normal? Anyway I left the other print just by itself in the glass frame so it has no texture and looks much "slicker" but still has some "waves" to it. What do I do? I guess I should just go have it professionally done buy I'm a big DIY type and this seems like it should be fairly easy. Also it seems to me when photos are mounted (at least the one I did) that it lost some of its "vividness" so to speak, I don't know it just doesn't look quite as good as before it was mounted. Any help is much appreciated.

Anything 11x14 or larger I just have the lab mount it. They can do a far better job than I can at a much better price.

Yes I'm thinking you are right, would still like to know what the "texture" was though, any thoughts? I mean it is completely even everywhere so I don't think it was a mistake on my part, just what happened when mounting, is this normal?

Uneven application of the adhesive?

Texture of the backing material?

Dirt between the backing and print?

Uneven application of the adhesive?

Texture of the backing material?

Dirt between the backing and print?

I'm thinking texture of the backing material maybe...Do't have another one to look it, and like I said it looks fine, just in certain light you can see a "texture" appearance, so I'm assuming this is in fact not normal then right?

It's hard to say without seeing it...it could be several things.

For example, what is the native texture of the paper that the photo is on? And/or what is the texture of the finish you had on the paper? Was it a glossy print, matte...or something else? You might be seeing that texture...and if there are irregularities, that might be from the rolling pin.

And yes, on anything bigger than 8x10 or letter size, I have the lab mount it. Usually on foam core, but card stock works well too.

Most reactions

Back