New to photography, be nice!

Jessica.D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i took this picture of myself the other day, What do you guys think?
have any tips ect?
thankyouuu!

39567_436744097390_719327390_5784810_2794604_n.jpg

I like it, or the idea anyway.

The eye is really nice and stands out but her face seems a bit to white. Tone it down a bit. Are you using flash or normal flash lamps? Are you using right aperture?

I really like it. It's over exposed, but I get the impression that you meant it that way. I like the black and white. My only complaint is your hair's a bit soft (out of focus) and I think it would have been better as a portrait (vertical) shot. On second look, the hat seems to be what was focused on. Even then, it still works pretty well. I would just stop down the aperture a few stops (turn up the f/#) to get more of the image in focus.

Good job. :thumbup:

Do you have any others?

Well, the lighting is not so good. The on-board flash pointed directly at you gave some bad shadows, especially the one under your chin. The shadow from the hat brim looks more deliberate and appropriate. There is also too much 'dead space' to the left. There is ZERO detail on your skin (all blown highlights).

Your eye looks good and the detail on the hat looks good. I'd try again and experiment with different lighting methods. On-board flashes generally tend to give less than great results. What are you using for a camera and do you have a hotshoe flash?

I love it. A shot that most would argue goes against many of photography's basics, but just 'works'. I love it. Nice work!

I also like this shot....It's very good, especially considering you are just getting started. I would like to see a little sharper focus though! Thanks for sharing!

You guys are just being nice because she's good looking. Yes I'm calling you out. Put my face up there with the same light, even with a cute hat, it would get torn to shreds.

You guys are just being nice because she's good looking. Yes I'm calling you out. Put my face up there with the same light, even with a cute hat, it would get torn to shreds.

hahahha touche.... That is so true! Oh well man, it is what it is. The fact is, she's good looking, and we're being nice about it;)

I have no idea about the flash and lighting stuff, i seriously know zero about photography. I liked the dead space but apparently thats bad lol, i dont know what i could of put there instead? Im using a canon rebel, probably not a good camera compared to what you guys have but its better than nothing!

thankyou for the input ill take that into consideration!!

Im using a canon rebel, probably not a good camera compared to what you guys have but its better than nothing!

I have a rebel too, nothing wrong with that.

As far as the dead space, maybe a vertical crop?

I have no idea about the flash and lighting stuff, i seriously know zero about photography. I liked the dead space but apparently thats bad lol, i dont know what i could of put there instead? Im using a canon rebel, probably not a good camera compared to what you guys have but its better than nothing!

thankyou for the input ill take that into consideration!!

If you like the dead space, then keep it and make it work.... Don't let anyone change what YOU like in your photos... There aren't any rules in this game...

Indeed, A Rebel is not a bad camera at all....Great for beginners. Heck, I didn't even start with that powerful of a camera!

It seems like you used the fixed lighting on the camera....which usually isn't the best. Try to find something that can create light (A large flashlight, lamp or anything) and just mess around with it while the light on the camera is off.

So my final verdict: It's a nice picture, is it bad? No. Is it perfect? No, far from it.

Just experiment a little and you will get it!

Hah, maybe that is why it 'works' for me. But in a more professional manner -- you can't tell me that's it's not refreshing to see something different than a portrait with your basic lighting setup, some cheesy smile, and whatever else you get from portrait 101 class. Maybe I'm just new school, or just way out of the loop . But either way, I actually like the photo

Hahah and reznap, I would love to see your portrait with your cute hat. Can you say new avatar? :lmao:

Billie Jean is not my lover... she's just a girl who claims that I am the one.

michael-jackson-billy-jean-fedora-hat1.jpg

...ok now I'm just being an ass. :D

+ to all (i.e., non standard first self-portrait, overall idea good, some technical issues including focus, in particular such hairs should be better exploited by more DoF, I would let it horizontal, lastly cute subject too).
As a very first attempt without working much, I would simply try again in more or less the same setup with some home-made diffuser on the built-in flash (like a tissue paper drop on flash).
By the way, I have a Rebel XS too. Perhaps you know that you can hook up it at the computer and see LiveView on computer screen: this may help in self portrait.

Most reactions

Back