New to Photography - Looking for a camera, know nothing

beckler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for a little guidance here. I've always had the urge to get into this hobby but I haven't been able to pick up a decent camera. I have some money saved up and I'm looking to get something decent.

Right now I have a Sony Cybershot DSC H10. I only use it to take pictures for eBay and things of that nature. It's not really a "photography" camera. Besides having the "eye" for taking pictures (which I think is something that would just come naturally) I don't really know too much about photography (from the hardware prospective). First, I'm looking to take 16:9 HD aspect videos and pictures. I'm looking for something that can take professional videos (something like the Canon 5D-Mark II.) But I'm guessing that choosing a lens is just as important as the camera. So as far as lenses go, what should I be shopping around for? What do I need to look for, and how do I find one that I like?

Equipment does not make the picture.

With that said, you aren't providing nearly enough information for us to give you any sort of advice. What do you like taking pictures of? Do you just want to shoot video? Why do you think you need the 5dii?

well to be honest, the 5dII is the only one that I've got to see in action. What other information would you need?

Sorry powasky, I overlooked your previous questions. I've found that I like taking pictures at night, or in dark places. I'm just looking for something professional that I wont get bored with. If I take a video, I want it to look like a professional video, or a movie.

I'm going to take a guess and say that I'm still not giving enough information to point me in the right direction. I'm not the best at explaining things. Let me try and find some pictures and videos that I like and I'll throw them up.

Last edited:
Here are several video's that were taken with the Canon 5D Mark II. When I originally saw the 5d II in action I was not impressed at all with the video quality. Not for a $3k camera.

Here's the original that I wasn't so impressed with while I was at a party (although it is a nice picture, I've seen far better quality.
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Here's a few video's off YouTube (again, the 5D Mark II)

I tried posting some pics that I liked (they weren't shot with the 5D II, just random ones) but I can't seem to upload them. I tried using the image loader but it doesn't work. I'll try Photobucket or something in a little while. I think overall I like shooting action. (people, cars, outdoor stuff, etc.) Hopefully this gives you a little more insight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back