New to photography - Nikon D40?

JNGUYEN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm new to photography, and I'm planning to pick up a Nikon D40 tomorrow. Just wondering, is there better cameras out there for the price range of a D40? What are the pros and cons of a D40? Will the D40 be easy to use for a beginnner? I just want to make sure I make the right decision for my first DSLR camera.

Lacks an AF motor built into the body. That is the biggest thing.

I do not own a Nikon D40, but FWIW, DCRP has it listed as the best camera in the $400-$650 price range.

I have the D40, and aside from the aforementioned lack of a focus motor built into the body, it's a fantastic camera for the price. I love mine. It's quick, small, easy to use, very flexible, lots of options, lots of expandability. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

Hey guys, I'm new to photography, and I'm planning to pick up a Nikon D40 tomorrow. Just wondering, is there better cameras out there for the price range of a D40?

Yes!

For the price: sure if you want to go used and forgo any warranty. If you don't mind buying used then look at the alternatives, but if you must buy new it is a solid camera.

The D70 can be bought used for about the cost of a used d40, many would claim it's a better camera (focus motor and better ergonomics/controls).

The D40 is kinda "meh", but it's a fine camera for the price. I'd recommend trying to find a used D70S instead... D80 if you can find one at that price, but I tend to doubt it. Search the forums ... there are endless threads about this.

whoa, chris.. new avatar... really... interesting..

:lol: Looks like he just wants to have a big bite of whatever it is that you're eating, doesn't it? Or maybe just sniff your spicy brains a bit. :lol:

I think this is kosher to do on the forums...still new here...

Great objective review of the d40 at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Some of the prices quoted are from when the d40 first came out...but the data overall is a great read to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back