What's new

New to photography, some first shots. C & C welcome!

Joined
Feb 14, 2013
Messages
281
Reaction score
61
Location
Stratford Upon Avon
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am very new to photography (only 2-3 months!) but was just wondering what people thought of some of my first attempts at anything other than quick un-thought about snaps. Both taken onboard an RAF Vulcan in very low light.

1)
$dialledin.webp

2)
$thinking.webp

Thanks!
 
Welcome.

I like the angle of the first one but not crazy about all the black on the bottom right of the frame. Trouble is that you can't really crop it out.

The second isn't too bad and I think it works pretty much as is. There may be a little too much dead space on the left. My suggestion to that would be to get a little more of your subjects head in the frame, which would reduce that space on the left. (I wouldn't want to take it out of this pose). There will be some that may suggest to you to shoot this portrait.
 
Thanks for the comments. The black space at the bottom right is actually the pilot chair but as you say it would look odd cropped and I quite liked the oval shape it makes with the shape of the instrument cluster.

I did also take a portrait version (:)) and tried a bit of a crop on the left. However, I thought it looked based as it is above due to wanting to show a bit of perspective of distance to the gaze so that it didn't look like he was staring at the end of the photo.

Thanks again! Sounds like they are not too bad for me first few then..
 
What I like most about these pictures is that you are looking for some nontrivial stories. A lot of beginners start with shooting cats and finish with it . If you can find something that attracts interest the rest will come. I am a beginner as well and I promised to myself not to shoot cats and flowers. Well I may make some exceptions re flowers. But cats are a no no. That was a bit off topic, but I hope you have got the idea.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom