New to Photography? - you REALLY need to get this !!!

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Picked up my first camera 1 1/2 years ago - a Canon 450D with a couple of kit lenses.. Trial and error; this, and 2 other forums; a couple of books on Photoshop, hdr and composition; a ton of photographs later, and I 'thought' I had it down pretty good...... Until I picked up, (what should be considered manditory reading), cpy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson... I've seen this mentioned dozens of times, but I just can't understate what kind of valuable information this book has for the new photographer...

As most books start out, this one begins with the "Introduction".. Then, the first chapter on pg 13 "Defining Exposure" - turned the page and found a quick, easy method to get the perfect exposure every time using the Manual mode on your camera !! A simple 2 step procedure that will almost guarantee a perfectly exposed picture ...

Intrigued ??

You can't go wrong - trust me! ( I work for the Government ) :mrgreen:

ummm... page 13 in my book is a picture... no words... at all...

I decided to turn the page instead of just being a smart @$$...

The "tip" is on page 15 :)

Mine is on 15 as well, but I know there is an earlier version of Understanding Exposure as well. Page 15 in the one published in 2004.

ummm... page 13 in my book is a picture... no words... at all...

I decided to turn the page instead of just being a smart @$$...

The "tip" is on page 15 :)

Well, ...... I'll bet the picture was "Perfectly Exposed" ... :lol:

Actually, I did say ... "the first chapter on pg 13 "Defining Exposure" - turned the page and found a quick, easy method"...

I normally don't push stuff like this, but reading on 3 different photography forums, and seeing the beginners either afraid to use the Manual setting, or - just clueless about how to begin, I just thought this would help.... It certainly did for me!:peacesign:

So what's the good copy to get?
I see one with a house on the
cover, and another with some
birds, and a little kid. Are they
both the same?

i have the book from a friend. never touched it. with the tip... he says to go outdoors next to a wall... etc etc .... can i do this indoors or anywhere else? i dont get it

i have the book from a friend. never touched it. with the tip... he says to go outdoors next to a wall... etc etc .... can i do this indoors or anywhere else? i dont get it

It's just an example of how to get good exposure, in a 'not so perfect' lighting condition...

I would say get the newest, but I think they are probably about the same. There are VERY few mentions of digital only situations. Exposure is exposure. Like I said I would get the newest, but on a budget I know the old version is very inexpensive. Either way it's a must read. I am reading Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography right now, which I would highly recommend as well for anyone Canon user who is looking to expand on flash photography. It goes very in depth on Speedlights and compatible flash units, lighting in general. It's 420 pages and well detailed.

He also has lots of you tube vids that have been a great help to me. Ill get the book one day :)

It's just an example of how to get good exposure, in a 'not so perfect' lighting condition...

wonder if i could use this method everywhere where lighting is not perfect

According to Amazon.com a new edition is coming out in August 10, 2010. It is supposed to be "refreshed" to include current technology.

Susan

I am reading Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography right now, which I would highly recommend as well for anyone Canon user who is looking to expand on flash photography. It goes very in depth on Speedlights and compatible flash units, lighting in general. It's 420 pages and well detailed.

Just want to confirm that it's not just about "Canon Speedlights", but that it also covers "Off Camera lighting" in general.. correct ? I have 3 flash units, none of them Canon... but I'm looking for a good book regarding off camera lighting..

I am reading Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography right now, which I would highly recommend as well for anyone Canon user who is looking to expand on flash photography. It goes very in depth on Speedlights and compatible flash units, lighting in general. It's 420 pages and well detailed.

Just want to confirm that it's not just about "Canon Speedlights", but that it also covers "Off Camera lighting" in general.. correct ? I have 3 flash units, none of them Canon... but I'm looking for a good book regarding off camera lighting..

It goes far beyond, optical slaves, manual flash units, light metering, even goes quite a bit further into different brands of triggers, flash accessories; umbrellas, softboxes, etc, etc, etc. I would highly recommend it. I am only about 1/10th the way through, but very useful so far. You should be able to check out the first bit of it on amazon. I bought this and Understanding Exposure, for 46.80 with free shipping, said it wouldn't ship for 6 days. Ordered on a Sunday, Wednesday it was at my door! I originally saw it at Barnes and Noble, but it is a little pricey, retail is 45.99. Amazon price 29.67!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Canon-EOS-Flash-Photography/dp/193395244X"]Amazon.com: Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography (9781933952444): NK Guy: Books[/ame] :thumbup:

My library has some of his books. I just got done reading that and also with watching his Perfect Photo video. I learned a lot, but I must admit that I liked the book much better than the video. I still haven't absorbed it all, but I think I've finally got the idea thanks to reading his books. So far I've read the book on exposure, the one on shutter speed, and the one on thinking creatively. The inter-library loan system also has the one on close up photography and the field guide so I would imagine I'll be getting to those soon.

I still don't quite get the one bit where he talks about using the grass and his hand to determine correct exposure and to avoid grays in whites. He says something similar in one of the books about shooting at night, that you have to "fool" the light meter in the camera by getting a reading pointing up I think it was first. I don't quite get how that's supposed to work or why.

Most reactions

Back