New to photography

PhotoKid1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I started taking a photography class a few months ago at my school and i really like it. We just use film cameras but i really want to get into digital photography and using the digital SLR. I have looked around some and really like the Nikon D40X. I like it better than the D40. I also like how you can edit your images on the camera.

I have found some places that i can buy the camera refurbished (body only) Can i put some other Nikon lenses on that i have at home? They are a slightly old model.

I want a camera that i can take with me when i go fishing and that is durable but takes nice pictures. I don't need a really fancy camera because i am just a beginner but i want a camera that i can use for a long time.

What are some other things i should get to go with the camera (camera bag, tripod, good memory card, something to protect the lens?) I would like to keep it all under $500 because i don't make that much money still being in school.

If there are other cameras that are better or such any recommendations are welcome

Thanks!,
PhotoKid1

I have a D40, i wouldnt bother going for the X model its not much different. Definately lens protection in my opinion, a UV filter at least, correct diameter of course and if you get a bag get one that is bigger than you need as you may end up buying more kit. I should imagine for fishing , assuming your taking pictures of fish and the surroundings the d40 wouldbe fine. if your going to do any shots in low light you will benefit from a tripod

how much is the price difference from the d40 to the d40x.... i will most likely buy what ever one is at the shop i go to. I will be shooting mainly wildlife. What is the main purpose of a UV filter?

Thanks

how much is the price difference from the d40 to the d40x.... i will most likely buy what ever one is at the shop i go to. I will be shooting mainly wildlife. What is the main purpose of a UV filter?

Thanks

They don't make the 40x anymore and have replaced it with the D60. You may still find it some places but the d40 itself is usually only around $550 for the kit which includes a pretty good 18-55mm lens. You may even find new/refurbed for quite a bit less.
The UV filter is supposed to get rid of the ultraviolet haze you get when shooting in bright light. It's really a subtle difference, but the filter can be used in any light and serves most as a means to protect your lens rather than the photo effect.

i will be honest if your planning on shooting wildlife it will be very limiting with the kit 18-55 mm lens, unless your lucky enough to get very close or are in a zoo!
may be worth looking at a uk supplier as you have the dollar in your favour. ive seen d40s for £220 pluspostage, gotta be less than 500 bucks

ok cool thanks Sherman, I saw one place i could get it refurbished for like $260 body only

I am trying my friends d40 this weekend while i am camping and see if i like it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back