New to photography,

zeto88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
but defiantly not to art!
Hey, I'm new to the whole photography business, but I've been doing graphic art for a number of years now.
I mostly specialize in catering for bands, doing logos, layouts, artwork, etc, etc.
And I thought since I do everything else, I may aswell do promotional shots aswell right? Right.
Here's some of my layout/designing work for bands -
A Dead Silence (New Everything Up Now) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Hand Of Mercy on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
I've recently purchased a " BRAND NEW Nikon D90 VR Kit 18-55 70-300mm Nikkor lens " according to ebay.
After doing a bit of research, I realized that it was a GREAT deal ( $1,300 AUS ) for such a product.
Though myself having never done photography in my life, I was wondering if anybody knows if this was a good choice of camera for what I want it for.
Promotional portraits and what not. Also if there's anything else I should purchase for it!
I hope to become a regular member on this forum, it looks great!
Thanks heaps!

( I also posted this in the Welcome sub-forum, I wasn't to sure where was most appropriate. Thanks! )

Promotional portraits and what not.
good camera
Also if there's anything else I should purchase for it!

flash unit(s), second battery, memory card(s), books on photography (what it is and how you eat it), lenses, gray card...
There are probably hundreds of accessories out there you might want to purchase it just matter what you want, what you need, what you will need, and of course your budget on everything.
good luck

Wow, thanks for the quick response!
I'm looking into getting one of those 32gb Sandisk's, because of the HDR recording function. Is it worth getting a big memory card for? Or would I not use it.
Also, I've read about a battery grip 'stabilizing' the camera. Is this correct?
Another quick response would be great!

My opinion (and likely that of most here) is that a single 32mb card is not the best way to go. There is a lot of risk of having so many files on 1 card (card damage, accidental formatting, etc.).

You would be better served getting a couple of 8gb cards in my opinion.

Well firstly let me say welcome to TPF! The Nikon D90 is a great camera to start with. I am not sure what 1,300 (aus) converts to in American dollars but if you got a good deal then that is great. You are starting with a very powerful body that will do everything that you need and more.

Learn, learn and learn some more! Learn about shutter speed, aperture, ISO, proper exposure, on and off camera lighting. Read books to learn the theory and then use your camera to practice. A lot of people will see a magnificent photo that is shot by a pro using a $3,000 body with a lens that has an equal price tag and they think that they can get the same pictures if they were using the same expensive equipment. That is absolutely not true. Use the lenses you have to their capabilty. Don't get in the mindset that you need better equipment to get better photos

Like IgsEMT said, there are probably hundreds of things that would be helpful to you but I think that a good tripod or some flash units would be a good start. Don't forget to buget for a post processing program if you don't have something. I use Adobe Lightroom and I absolutely love it. You probably already have experience with Photoshop though if you do graphic art.

A big memory card is never a bad investment. I am not sure how much you can find a 32gb for in Australia but also be on the look out for smaller ones. I was able to buy two 8gb SD cards for less than the price of 1 16gb card. Some people might like having just 1 larger card so they don't have to change out cards but it depends on what matters to you.

Read other threads on this forum. I have always liked the articles from Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School
and Strobist is very good for lighting.

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (9780817463007): Bryan Peterson: Books is a highly recommended book.

Edit: Good luck and hope to see some of your stuff soon. jdag does bring up a good point about storage. You are shooting a ton if you are filling up a 32gb card for just photos. Most people would never need that much storage on a single card. I was thinking more about if you are using it to transport large graphic files such as your layouts and promotional stuff, etc. I always back up in multiple locations pretty much as soon as I am done shooting.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Woooah! Much better responses then I assumed I'd get. ( I love this place! )
I will defiantly look into purchasing that book. Also a "Speedlight SB600" ?
I'm not too sure, but someone said it'd be a wise investment on my part to purchase one of those aswell.
I've read ALOT of posts on this forum about the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, proper exposure, etc,etc. Though it's alot to get my head around in one go! Ahaha.
If it wasn't christmas, I'd head on down to the library and rent some books.
Damn holidays, Ahahaha.
Thanks again! It's very much appreciated.

welcome to tpf, i myself do layouts for bands and stuff like you and figured i would start doing promo shots and live shots haha. thanks for giving me a new band to listen to haha. a sb600 is a good choice, i have to go buy one this week lol. i would also recommend a tripod. i am going to be building some studio lighting (or at least trying to) for portraits and promo shots. if promo shots are all u are interested in, i would suggest getting some lighting and reading strobist. remote flashes are cool if you do live shots too. just gotta make sure the band is ok with it.

good luck with everything man.

Ahaha, glad to meet someone just like me!
Mind posting one of your layouts you've created?
I'm not too keen on spending $$$ on the flash ash of yet.
Hopefully I can pick up a second hand one for cheap.

lol i am not good at doing layouts, its a hobby. i do them for my band and some friends. i havent had a chance to do a layout for a band with a good promo shot. they are all pretty basic and are oldd so don't judge haha. i do mostly tshirt designs and stuff. i plan on going to school for graphic design (i hope) haha

High Noon on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Night of The Mausoleum on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Chrisissoindie! (SIGNS TO JWP!) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
MySpace - www.myspace.com/42882390

now that i look at those, they are horrid haha. things are all messed up. but o well, they liked them so i dont care lol. i like designing clothes more lol

i cant wait to get my camera tomorrow haha

edit- do you do your layouts with DIV?

Also a "Speedlight SB600" ?
I'm not too sure, but someone said it'd be a wise investment on my part to purchase one of those aswell.

Yeah something like that would be a good flash to get. Lighting can get very complex and expensive really quickly. Personally I usually use ambient lighting for 90% of what I shoot. I have just recently added a flash to my kit so I can't really give you much advice in that area but like I suggested, Strobist Blog has a ton of information.

yeah, i have no idea how to do that stuff only the very basic things haha

If you ever need a hand, I'd be more than happy to help, if you can help me out with some photography stuff? :)

haha i could try, but i am pretty much in the same boat as you. still learning.

Most reactions

Back