What's new

New to Photography

If you really want some critiques on your work, post a couple of your best images here for us to look at...I'd suggest posting them in the Gallery section of the forum however. Being one of the few that doesn't mind clicking links, I'll offer some brief CC. These shots look like snapshots to me. I'm not really sure where to begin, hence why you should post a couple. The portraits are very boring and centered. On your album with the girl, most of her face is in shadows...Like I said, post a couple on here for us to look at, and good luck!
 
You want critique? They are not very good. Learn some basics from the internet.
 
You have a ways to go before offering your services on a professional basis as your facebook page alludes to. The vast majority of th pictures I saw on your page were point and shoot snapshots with poor lighting and poor composition. The others were snapshots that are really quite overprocessed. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion. Hang out here, learn the basics, practice the baics and grow. You are not ready for weddings and the like.

Where you are at now is exactly where I started out, and the good folks here gave me a whole lot of advice on how to get better.

It worked.

But I'm still nowhere near ready to do a wedding.

Post one or two of your favorites, and let the pros and talented amateurs here give their opinion. you may not like everythig you read, but you will certainly be able to learn from it.
 
A year or so ago I too fell victim to Facebook and its undying love for bad work. Which ultimately led me here. I have the passion and desire, this will never fade. I lack the education and experience. I shortly removed any blurbs about offering free services having realized I have a ways to go. It is a hard thing to control at times, your passion for something mixed with rave reviews from the masses.

If I listened to Facebook, I'd think I was a pro.

Just my noob advice. Read, learn, school if you can. Let your education and experience catch up to your desire and passion. Then evaluate what you want to do.

I would rather myself be known as "a guy learning photography who takes nice pics" than "a guy pretending to be a photographer that took chitty pics of our newborn son" Some things in time you can't go back to so people rely on images to take them back. Those should be images worth showing. Sorry to say, but yours aren't. Even in my novice level of education and experience I see many many flaws in your work.

I hope you take advice and criticism well from these messages here, for the most part, it is to help not hurt. I love it here and am glad I joined.

so from one noob to another. Stop selling yourself and start learning.

my 2 cents.
 
You have the FB page and a clicky pro name...... you're there
bigthumb.gif
 
And great marketing skillz for a "free shoot" on your facebook too!

Free Photo Session:
If you or anyone that you know would like a free Photography Session then here is what I'm looking for
1. Family of 3 or more
2. Engagement
3. Newborn boy and girl
4. Wedding
5. Maternity
All you need to do is send a photo with contact info and which session you are interested in to lakishahayesphotography@gmail.com.
After I receive several different photo's I will pick 1 from each of what I'm looking for.
Thanks in advance!!!!!
 
"Lawn chair, check. Beer and flask, check. Wing BBQ,very check.and go"
 
I like the beer and flask combo, nice. Love your siggy btw.
 
Ernicus said:
I like the beer and flask combo, nice. Love your siggy btw.

Lol thx, best episode ever :)
 
Hey Lakisha, Noob to noob? I would say ditch the facebook page and get better before you post any pictures and present your work.
I also think you shouldnt start of with photographing people. Start off with objects, flowers, landscapes, etc. that way you learn the color basics, angles, how to deal with lighting and many other basics that you need to know before you start photographing people. You need to google, google, google! Learn the rules, learn what aperture is, shutter speed, ISO, the format of a picture (RAW, JPEG, TIFF etc) all this will help you create a better photograph. Then start finding your style. It actually helps to look at other photographers work. As long as you dont copy or imitate of course. Wish you the best of luck and remember if you educate your self about the basics you'll improve, no doubt :)
 
You want critique? They are not very good. Learn some basics from the internet.


Why not be less condescending and a little more helpful with your honesty? Say like, explaning why they are not very good and what she could do (or look into) to improve them.
 
While some are nothing more than typical snapshots, I have to say that some have the potential to be good as well (The flowers and some in Caitlin and Family). And I agree with what Stradawhovious and Haya have said. Learn how to work with your shutter speed, ISO and F/Stop(aperture), as well as rule of thirds. Improve on your composition and when shooting in daylight, learn how to work with the sun, not against it (i.e. shadows on faces and so on). Then the said one that have the potential to be good, will be good and you wont be taking anymore 'snapshot' pictures.
 
I took a look at the Caitlin album. There are some lighting issues - shadows that could be filled to highlight the subject. Also, perhaps either closer crop on the subject, or a more interesting background. Add some creativity. In the shot on the grass with the dadelion flowers, capture her blowing the seeds, a youthful, playful aspect to offset a solid grass background. If the photos are really about the subject, good lighting is usually needed on the face, unless there is a distinct reason not to. From the shadow, looks like you were nearly shooting into the sun, maybe try moving the sun behind you to take full advantage of the natural light on the subject. The dock texture is interesting, as is the angles created moving your eye to the subject, but maybe crop tighter and more detail on the face. May be helpful to take one shot (like the dock) and take 100 images - each with different settings, etc. and then run through them and see how it impacts your final image.
 
Hey Lakisha, Noob to noob? I would say ditch the facebook page and get better before you post any pictures and present your work.
I also think you shouldnt start of with photographing people. Start off with objects, flowers, landscapes, etc. that way you learn the color basics, angles, how to deal with lighting and many other basics that you need to know before you start photographing people. You need to google, google, google! Learn the rules, learn what aperture is, shutter speed, ISO, the format of a picture (RAW, JPEG, TIFF etc) all this will help you create a better photograph. Then start finding your style. It actually helps to look at other photographers work. As long as you dont copy or imitate of course. Wish you the best of luck and remember if you educate your self about the basics you'll improve, no doubt :)

Tell it how you really feel, does this translate into "perhaps get a clue before you ruin your reputation right out of the 'chute"? Perhaps you're advising for OP to learn the trade and get some pro gear before claiming to be pro?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom