What's new

New to Photography

Hey Lakisha, Noob to noob? I would say ditch the facebook page and get better before you post any pictures and present your work.
I also think you shouldnt start of with photographing people. Start off with objects, flowers, landscapes, etc. that way you learn the color basics, angles, how to deal with lighting and many other basics that you need to know before you start photographing people. You need to google, google, google! Learn the rules, learn what aperture is, shutter speed, ISO, the format of a picture (RAW, JPEG, TIFF etc) all this will help you create a better photograph. Then start finding your style. It actually helps to look at other photographers work. As long as you dont copy or imitate of course. Wish you the best of luck and remember if you educate your self about the basics you'll improve, no doubt :)

Tell it how you really feel, does this translate into "perhaps get a clue before you ruin your reputation right out of the 'chute"? Perhaps you're advising for OP to learn the trade and get some pro gear before claiming to be pro?

It doesnt have to sound as negative as you make it... Some people might see her work now and completely cross her of the list since its not "the best" (i dont like saying that because who really is to judge what is "the best") but i mean everyone has room for improvement and before going public with decent, not so great photos; she should gain experience and improve. I said it the way i did because i consider peoples feelings. and if something were wrong with my pictures iwouldnt want someone to give me advice in a harsh manner.

as for your last sentence im a believer of the photographer makes the picture not the gear. so no thats not what im trying to say.
 
Last edited:
Hey Lakisha, Noob to noob? I would say ditch the facebook page and get better before you post any pictures and present your work.
I also think you shouldnt start of with photographing people. Start off with objects, flowers, landscapes, etc. that way you learn the color basics, angles, how to deal with lighting and many other basics that you need to know before you start photographing people. You need to google, google, google! Learn the rules, learn what aperture is, shutter speed, ISO, the format of a picture (RAW, JPEG, TIFF etc) all this will help you create a better photograph. Then start finding your style. It actually helps to look at other photographers work. As long as you dont copy or imitate of course. Wish you the best of luck and remember if you educate your self about the basics you'll improve, no doubt :)

Tell it how you really feel, does this translate into "perhaps get a clue before you ruin your reputation right out of the 'chute"? Perhaps you're advising for OP to learn the trade and get some pro gear before claiming to be pro?

It doesnt have to sound as negative as you make it... Some people might see her work now and completely cross her of the list since its not "the best" (i dont like saying that because who really is to judge what is "the best") but i mean everyone has room for improvement and before going public with decent, not so great photos; she should gain experience and improve. I said it the way i did because i consider peoples feelings. and if something were wrong with my pictures iwouldnt want someone to give me advice in a harsh manner.

as for your last sentence im a believer of the photographer makes the picture not the gear. so no thats not what im trying to say.


As im sad to say this: Welcome to TPF! Be sure to keep a bag of salt by your side at all times during your duration here. But don't let that spoil the others who are genuinely helpful here either.
 
I generally see two types of noobs, some spend countless hours in classrooms and online trying to improve their skils to a professional level. They purchase quality gear, calibrate monitors and soak up info. Eventually they may procure a business license and insurance and become ligit pro's that charge. Then we have those that go to amazon.com, but a kit body and lens, open a FB page, and sell themselves as "professional photographers".

I'm not knocking the latter, but if one falls in the latter category and asks for critique they'll get it. I clicked that FB page and saw pics and advertisements that....well nevermind
badteeth.gif
 
Maybe some people dont see the flaws in the picture they took? & I get what your saying but theres a way to talk to people and communicate in a kinder way. Its not WHAT you say its HOW you say it. thats all im saying and you probably would have really good advice if you knew how to speak without... well nevermind ;) haha but no really, be nice to people. :)
 
Haya.H said:
Maybe some people dont see the flaws in the picture they took? & I get what your saying but theres a way to talk to people and communicate in a kinder way. Its not WHAT you say its HOW you say it. thats all im saying and you probably would have really good advice if you knew how to speak without... well nevermind ;) haha but no really, be nice to people. :)

That's why we have forums for critique, better here than in the real world where they really go for the critique throat.
 
Maybe some people dont see the flaws in the picture they took? & I get what your saying but theres a way to talk to people and communicate in a kinder way. Its not WHAT you say its HOW you say it. thats all im saying and you probably would have really good advice if you knew how to speak without... well nevermind ;) haha but no really, be nice to people. :)

I totally understand what you are saying, I was horrified when I first starting lurking here. The thing is, after a while and countless threads like this you can't help but get a bit annoyed at the fact that some people don't seem to bother learning and perfecting themselves before they start charging for their work, and putting it out there as "professional". I take photography as a hobby and I still try to be very critical of the pictures I take, and I know I have a long time ahead of me; I can't even imagine charging people money and not being proud of my work...
 
You want critique? They are not very good. Learn some basics from the internet.


Why not be less condescending and a little more helpful with your honesty? Say like, explaning why they are not very good and what she could do (or look into) to improve them.

OK, your right.... let me be more helpful. Bad Photos, Just google "Photography basics". :thumbup:
 
I generally see two types of noobs, some spend countless hours in classrooms and online trying to improve their skils to a professional level. They purchase quality gear, calibrate monitors and soak up info. Eventually they may procure a business license and insurance and become ligit pro's that charge. Then we have those that go to amazon.com, but a kit body and lens, open a FB page, and sell themselves as "professional photographers".

I'm not knocking the latter, but if one falls in the latter category and asks for critique they'll get it. I clicked that FB page and saw pics and advertisements that....well nevermind
badteeth.gif


That, I can agree with you on
 
You want critique? They are not very good. Learn some basics from the internet.


Why not be less condescending and a little more helpful with your honesty? Say like, explaning why they are not very good and what she could do (or look into) to improve them.

OK, your right.... let me be more helpful. Bad Photos, Just google "Photography basics". :thumbup:


Brutally honest - thats fair. And at least you gave her some sort of direction. I can appreciate you trying to be helpful now. Thank you.
 
I am a noob or what ever you want to call it. A person can give you advice in a constructive way that increases the desire to learn more. When a person is negative, it deters the person from wanting to learn. IMO some individuals are harsh about offer help, because: 1) Reduces competition. 2) not a nice person in general or 3) easy to be harsh hiding behind a computer. On the positive note, learning and practicing is a must to be a photographer. Also, "Don't think you are the best, because there is someone out there better." PS Welcome to Forums!
 
bunny99123 said:
I am a noob or what ever you want to call it. A person can give you advice in a constructive way that increases the desire to learn more. When a person is negative, it deters the person from wanting to learn. IMO some individuals are harsh about offer help, because: 1) Reduces competition. 2) not a nice person in general or 3) easy to be harsh hiding behind a computer. On the positive note, learning and practicing is a must to be a photographer. Also, "Don't think you are the best, because there is someone out there better." PS Welcome to Forums!

I find that I don't fall into any of those categories. I think I fall into yet another category, one that I think most of us fall into. It really irks me when I see things like, "I just got my camera and now I'm looking to go professional!" I, in no way, consider myself a professional. Rather, I consider myself some random guy who likes to take pictures. When I see someone who just gets a camera and outs no effort into educating themselves and don't take very good pictures, I get upset because I'm TRYING to learn everything I can and I practice a lot and really try. People who go out and buy an expensive camera because it will make them a professional really ruin what it means to be a professional.

Case in point, I was at a track meet a week ago taking pictures of my brother. There was a lady there with an "expensive" camera (D3100) and a "nice lenses" (kit lens). She not only was holding the camera incorrectly (hand over the lens instead of under for support), but she also had it on live view held at arms length to take the shot.

This is what irritates me, people who buy an "expensive camera" and suddenly are brilliant photographers. I think this is where most of us fall. I could be wrong though...
 
Case in point, I was at a track meet a week ago taking pictures of my brother. There was a lady there with an "expensive" camera (D3100) and a "nice lenses" (kit lens). She not only was holding the camera incorrectly (hand over the lens instead of under for support), but she also had it on live view held at arms length to take the shot.

well, was the lady charging for the photographs, or talking about how awesome her habilities were?? if not, everyone is allowed to buy whatever camera they want and use it in automatic. Granted, it's a waste of equipment, but they are not trying to be pros...
 
jmtonkin said:
I find that I don't fall into any of those categories. I think I fall into yet another category, one that I think most of us fall into. It really irks me when I see things like, "I just got my camera and now I'm looking to go professional!" I, in no way, consider myself a professional. Rather, I consider myself some random guy who likes to take pictures. When I see someone who just gets a camera and outs no effort into educating themselves and don't take very good pictures, I get upset because I'm TRYING to learn everything I can and I practice a lot and really try. People who go out and buy an expensive camera because it will make them a professional really ruin what it means to be a professional.

Case in point, I was at a track meet a week ago taking pictures of my brother. There was a lady there with an "expensive" camera (D3100) and a "nice lenses" (kit lens). She not only was holding the camera incorrectly (hand over the lens instead of under for support), but she also had it on live view held at arms length to take the shot.

This is what irritates me, people who buy an "expensive camera" and suddenly are brilliant photographers. I think this is where most of us fall. I could be wrong though...

If people are going into the professional business of any sort.

1) Get a Linkedin account. Facebook is really cheesy and IMO very unprofessional.

2) At least spring for a free website template. While you are add it, invest in business cards.

3) Go down to your local office get a DBA, start paying taxes like a business.

4) Get real unbiased opinions like from forums, and photoclub members. The people who tell your photography is good, are the same people who want to be cheap and found a sucker.

5) Re-invest into your business if you want to prosper. Lastly, expect harsh criticism if you're expectibg to grow and good luck.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom