New to Photography

vimwiz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
analog4eva.tumblr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I have just got myself a film camera, and decided to sign up here to gain some knowlege.

I have a Canon T-70 camera. It seems quite sturdy and easy to use. The screen and battery are fine (Which i heard was a common problem due to age). Set me back £40 wirh a bag, book, and accessories, but looks in mint condition,

So first off, is this in fact a good camera for a beginner like myself? - I took some pictures the other week, and I was pleasantly surprised, in the instances where I had focused properly, and had enough light, they were very sharp and warm!

Also, not knowing what to do, I used some Kodak Ultra 400 colour film, is that right? As Ive also seen cheap agfa/fuji ISO 200 stuff for literally 5 times cheaper in the shop.

Oh, and ive got a 50mm canon lens for it, I intend to mostly shoot the countryside, so would a 35mm wide one better? (They are under £30 on ebay).

Anyway, sorry for all the questions, and hi!

EDIT: Doh, if these questions arent sufficiently technical, maybe it should be moved to welcomes and introductions board.

Attachments

• $1255507_10153419203255626_1286254890_n.jpg
    $1255507_10153419203255626_1286254890_n.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hello and welcome!

There is a Film Photography section you might want to check out and post in for film-specific questions.

Edited: I see it has already been moved.

I don't know much about the specific model Canon you've got, but they're good cameras in general, and if you are comfortable shooting with it and getting encouraging results, then I'd say you have the right camera to start with. Ultimately, any camera that you are going to use is a good camera to start with ;)

For landscape shots, I would consider getting that 35mm lens. You might decide it's too wide for your tastes, or you might like it more than the 50mm - it's hard to say. It depends on how and what you shoot. I don't do a lot of wide angle stuff, but the times I was going for a landscape, I did appreciate the extra view. But my wide angle stuff tends to sit on the shelf more often than not, just because I prefer a closer view or detail shots. But that's just me.

As for the film, for daytime uses, go to a lower ISO film. Try out the Fuji 200 and see how you like it. The Kodak and Fuji emulsions both render color slightly differently - which is sometimes more apparent when a shot is over-exposed than when it is properly exposed. It's a personal preference which one is 'better' so try a few and see which ones you like the best. I personally love Kodak Gold 200, but it's getting hard to find. Others on the forum will swear by the Fuji Superia. Again, it's a personal preference. Even though I prefer the Kodak, I recognize that the Fuji is also a good film. It's more expensive, but you might also want to try some Kodak Portra 160 if you want more vibrant, saturated colors.

The higher speed films (400, 800 and higher) are better for lower light situations. Also, they might be grainer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but some people like a very fine grain, especially for landscape.

Don't forget to post some photos just to share or if you want feedback on them. Happy shooting! :)

Pound shop have Fuji film in for £1 a roll and ive seen great results and it's cheap to practise on, i shoot mostly B+W which can look good for landscapes, here's one

Scan-130611-0011-XL.jpg

when you get better slide film is very nice but costs more and your exposure has to be spot on

Agfa precisa (slide film)

scan587-XL.jpg

Welcome aboard.

The 50mm was a standard lens on 35mm film cameras. You'll want a wider for landscapes, but the 50mm should do just fine while you learn how to use the camera.

Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah the 50mm lens is the one that originally came with it, I think. Seems a nice camera to shoot, auto rewind, some auto presets, electronic menus. Quite computerised considering its from 1984 - Must have been one of the last manual focus camera by Canon before the EOS came out! - Btw, I think ill take a punt on the 35mm lens from Ebay too.

Also, I'll take your tip and try some a lower ISO film.The pound shop have Agfa "Vista Plus" 200, rather than Fuji though. Ill give it a go! - They sell Kodak Gold 200 in Boots pharmacy but its nearly £5 a pop!

Ill post some photos when I have a chance to scan them in, Cheers!

Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah the 50mm lens is the one that originally came with it, I think. Seems a nice camera to shoot, auto rewind, some auto presets, electronic menus. Quite computerised considering its from 1984 - Must have been one of the last manual focus camera by Canon before the EOS came out! - Btw, I think ill take a punt on the 35mm lens from Ebay too.

Also, I'll take your tip and try some a lower ISO film.The pound shop have Agfa "Vista Plus" 200, rather than Fuji though. Ill give it a go! - They sell Kodak Gold 200 in Boots pharmacy but its nearly £5 a pop!

Ill post some photos when I have a chance to scan them in, Cheers!

Im sure the Agfa is Fuji rebranded if not Agfa is still good there are some lovely results from it on other forums

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Do a search on Flickr for Agfa vista it has lovely subtle colours

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

If you get yourself hooked on film, you also might want to check for film online. You probably have more options for film in brick and mortar stores in the UK than we have here in the States, but it might ultimately be cheaper to buy online. And sometimes there are sales. I just got 10 rolls of Kodak Gold 200 from Mel Pierce Camera - sold through Amazon - for only $2 a roll (it was only 24 exposures but it's still a good deal). When film is just a few months from expiring, a lot of places will put it on sale, but it's still perfectly usable. But even if it's not on sale, it's often a better deal online.

Check out this thread from another forum: Film suppliers in the UK - A list.

I haven't seen Agfa Vista anymore in my area in some time but I always liked that film. I usually use Kodak Ultramax or whatever they're calling it these days, 100 outdoors sunlight and 400 indoors lower light; I think the higher speed film sometimes can cost more depending on where you buy it (I've seen that in my area). I also like Portra and any of the Ilford B&W films or Kodak TMax.

I think I saw something about your camera on Film Photography Project | An Internet Radio Show & On-Line Resource for Film Shooters Worldwide , maybe one of their videos. They have videos on everything from how to load film for people who are new to it. I think you might be right that it was one of the last FD mount Canons before they came out with EOS cameras.

You made a good point too that if you get good light and use the meter to determine a proper exposure, and focus properly, that should help you get good quality pictures. That looks like a nice lens you got, you should get some nice pictures with that, enjoy!

Seems a nice camera to shoot, auto rewind, some auto presets, electronic menus. Quite computerised considering its from 1984 - Must have been one of the last manual focus camera by Canon before the EOS came out!
T70 is a very good camera. It's not the last FD body, after that came T90, much, much better than T70, but too late to make any impact. AF was on the way. Most important thing, it uses regular AA batteries, even this for $1 will work just fine. I have two such a bodies. Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.

Fuji superia 200 is nice i was given 5 rolls not sure how much it costs but will try and get some more

Scan-130620-0003-XL.jpg
Scan-130620-0001-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back