New to Photoshop

mkaslam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All
I am new to photoshop and need some help with some of the useful tips for good editing. What would you basically do to enhance the colors in your pics like green in the landscape and some other basic stuff.

contrast and selective color may help you.

Picking up a book that walks you through some common techniques might be helpful. Scott Kelby's 7-point System for Photoshop is one example... His sense of humor isn't some people's cup of tea, but the info's helpful.

I learned by just playing around with it. That way you will find several ways to do each thing you want to do. and you become more comfortable with it quicker, I think. That's how I did it, not saying it's bad to ask questions about it, but somethings are hard to explain. Good Luck, you will soon find photoshop to be your best friend

All that depends on how comfortable you are with Photoshop.

What I do:

Open image. Do any color correction. More often than not, its easiest to let Photoshop do it, although sometimes they don't get it right. Thats when you need to go into individual RBG channels (through a curves layer) to get at the meat and potatoes of your image. I would look for tutorials on Color Correction if you are finding Photoshop is mucking things up.

Use Auto Levels. Or if you have the curves layer, you can use the composite RBG to adjust the "brightness" of your photograph. If you are shooting in your cameras RAW format, this is MUCH easier to do BEFORE you get into Photoshop, and should be.

Change your workspace to LAB MODE. From there, apply a "curves" layer. Open it up, and adjust your contrast on the luminosity level - this way it doesn't affect the actual "color values" and lead to all kinds of silly color issues.

If you want to add a bit of vividness to your photos, within the SAME curves layer, choose the A and B level and drag the graph so its input/out is at -100/100 respectively. You'll see the pop in your color.

Then apply your sharepening (while still in LAB MODE) and then convert BACK into RBG, and you are good to go.

Oversimplistic process, but you can use this as a base to do some further research on your own.

What I do:
1st off, I only shoot in RAW and try to shoot a notch below 0 meter

1. Open raw in Camera Raw
2. Instant boost saturation - I often use around +25
3. Bring up some Exposure; will fine adjust after color tweak.
4. Tempurature and Tint slider adjustments - most of my color adjustment done here
5. Fine tune exposure, temp, and tint sliders.
6. Open button - opens your adjusted raw in Photoshop.

This works for me almost all the time. The colors are usually pretty good from that point. I know that adjusting the RGB curves works very well but it take a good deal of time to master and it's very easy to screw things up if you don't know what you're doing (like me, LoL).

Thank you so much for all your help:)
I will start applying all these tips soon..

Most reactions

Back