New to the Forum, and taking photos. help me out

Underpowered

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new here, and wanted some advice on just taking better pics in general. usually cars are my subject, weather it be my personal vehicles or other's at car shows.

my camera-Nikon L18 P&S. just a simple little camera, nothin special. however, i plan on taking some pics and learning to use my brothers Nikon D80 somewhat.

my latest work. just tell me what i am doing right/wrong. looking to take better pics of everything.

DSCN0190.jpg

DSCN0193.jpg

DSCN0197.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the board. A couple things to make things easier is post one or two images you want feed back on. Number your pictures so that when people are responding to them it will make it easier for us. That being said the shots on the gravel road are the most appealing to me.

a few pics from a couple weeks back, different location.

PICT9812.jpg

Last edited:
whoa guy, easy on the images... if you want peoples help, just post 2 or 3 of your favs.. otherwise people will just get annoyed waiting for piles of pics to load

Well first off, like Mgw189 has already said make sure to post just a couple of photos. It will make it easier for everyone else to give C&C and such.

But anywho, my favorite photograph of all of those would have to be the fifth one from the top. This one stands out to me due to the fact that this it is a fairly uncommon view of a vehicle that people rarely see in there day to day lifes. But mabye try to have a less distracting background next time(no tree branches and such)

Overall awesome job.

Whoa... somebody is seriously proud of their new truck.

The whole post looks like a "woohoo, look at me, I have a new truck!"

Overall, boring. And borderline annoying.

alright i will keep that in mind. less is more, right?

as far as the background goes, i have heard both sides of that argument. Some people like the background i choose, since a truck like mine is just a common pickup. others think they are to busy and take away from the subject. personally i like the wooded backgrounds. granted some pics would be better without as my trees though.

i have tried taking pics in a concrete jungle, such as parking garages and such at a local college. the pics looked good IMO, but you only focused on my truck. it was the main focus of the photo's, but the background did not add to the photo's in any way. i don't like a background that is to plain. i guess it is personal prefference

Whoa... somebody is seriously proud of their new truck.

The whole post looks like a "woohoo, look at me, I have a new truck!"

Overall, boring. And borderline annoying.

not new truck, getting old actually :er:

just what i was taking pictures of at the time. so, what would make them less boring and annoying as you say o master who has posted nothing useful

what would make them less boring and annoying as you say o master who has posted nothing useful

i'm sure he said annoying because theres like 25 pics.. and yes it was very annoying... and comments like that are a quick way to get yourself NO HELP

they are boring because they look like exactly what happened... you have a point and shoot camera, you got out of the truck, with your point and shoot, and you... pointed and shot... they are just boring, not really any thought put into them.. you just shot, and i dont know that camera, but judging from the pics, just on auto mode, which means theres no cool lighting or anything..which is what makes auto photography better

i hope you dont expect much help from people after your rude response.. in fact, from past experiences, you will get more people complaining about your response than you will help

not new truck, getting old actually :er:

just what i was taking pictures of at the time. so, what would make them less boring and annoying as you say o master who has posted nothing useful
You'll find that I post very little useful in response to a Chevy ad. While the photos are technically OK, the whole post comes across as "look at my truck, ain't it great?"

I'm sure that's not what you meant... but seriously... all those photos of a truck in the woods? It leaves one wondering if GM really needed a bailout if they hadn't paid for that photo spread.

My faves are the ones in the water. Looks like something interesting is going on there. Here is some more food for thought. Go to your local dealer and pick up some car brochures. This will get your mind thinking! This will make you thirsty to try some things. I try what others have done, and then try some things of your own. This will be a neat challenge but get some pictures of a truck in action going through the water.

The surroundings is what is boring I believe. Which is my same problem. Finding a really cool place to take a picture of your truck would be a big challenge. I am thinking like at the edge of a cliff or something. Going somewhere like Colorado. Where do you live, Underpowere? What interesting landscapes are you close to?

Some other fun ideas is finding a nice looking brick road or street somewhere and having just one single car in it and taking shots of that. It takes such an interesting background! Let me know of any ideas you find out! Also let me know if any of this helps.

-Christopher

i'm sure he said annoying because theres like 25 pics.. and yes it was very annoying... and comments like that are a quick way to get yourself NO HELP

they are boring because they look like exactly what happened... you have a point and shoot camera, you got out of the truck, with your point and shoot, and you... pointed and shot... they are just boring, not really any thought put into them.. you just shot, and i dont know that camera, but judging from the pics, just on auto mode, which means theres no cool lighting or anything..which is what makes auto photography better

i hope you dont expect much help from people after your rude response.. in fact, from past experiences, you will get more people complaining about your response than you will help

post edited and cut back to 6 pics overall. on most other forums i am on, they usually ask for more pics, so i assumed more would be better.

so i am in the wrong for pointing out he posted nothing useful? i may have been rude, but it takes a rude comment by him to draw one out from me. sorry if i offended anyone, i was merely responding to an unhelpful and somewhat rude reply.

thought was put into these pics, which is why i chose multiple locations, multiple angles to shoot from, different elevation from the subject (above, level, and below, near ground level) yes i used a point and shoot, but i thought was put into where i pointed at and shot from, not just point and shoot at anything.

they photo's were taken in auto mode, as my camera does not have many adjustments available on it. white balance is about it. can't adjust exposure time, apature settings, ISO or anything.

My faves are the ones in the water. Looks like something interesting is going on there. Here is some more food for thought. Go to your local dealer and pick up some car brochures. This will get your mind thinking! This will make you thirsty to try some things. I try what others have done, and then try some things of your own. This will be a neat challenge but get some pictures of a truck in action going through the water.

The surroundings is what is boring I believe. Which is my same problem. Finding a really cool place to take a picture of your truck would be a big challenge. I am thinking like at the edge of a cliff or something. Going somewhere like Colorado. Where do you live, Underpowere? What interesting landscapes are you close to?

Some other fun ideas is finding a nice looking brick road or street somewhere and having just one single car in it and taking shots of that. It takes such an interesting background! Let me know of any ideas you find out! Also let me know if any of this helps.

-Christopher

i live in Northern Kentucky, very close to Cincinnati Ohio. the search for the perfect photo spot is still on going. the snow pics were taken in a state park about 1 hr from where i live at, just was bored with spare time while in teh area. the creek is only a couple miles from my house and i do like those pictures better than the snow ones.

there are some cool spots i know of, but certainly not accessible by my truck. hopefully soon i can go to a few of those spots for some pictures, most likely in my jeep. there is a nice overhanging cliff to take pictures on that may i may be able to get to in my jeep. i will work on finding better spots for my photo's, and try to get someone to take photo's for me to get some action shots

Most reactions

New Topics

Back