New to the forum, looking to buy a Nikon.

Ollierockk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone...

I registered the other day, I've had a look around and there looks to be a lot of information here so thought I'd post a hello thread :)

I'm Ollie, I live in Bognor Regis and I'm keen on taking the odd nice photo when I can. I was given a Canon 350d by my father-in-law which has taught me a couple of basics (I'm still very much a novice) but I'm looking to upgrade my camera.

I have been advised that the Nikon D3300 will probably be the best camera for my budget circa £250. I'd be happy to buy used if one became available, I have been monitoring eBay and the like.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise.... Hi :)

Ollie

I had to look it up.
Bognor Regis - Wikipedia

The D3300 is a somewhat better camera than the Canon 350D, but the 350D is quite capable assuming the photographer has a good solid foundation of fundamental photography knowledge and basic photography skills.

I had to look it up.
Bognor Regis - Wikipedia

The D3300 is a somewhat better camera than the Canon 350D, but the 350D is quite capable.

Really? I thought 'sunny bognor' was quite a well know place! A king once died here don't ya know... Hence the 'regis' haha

It is indeed, not saying the 350 is a bad camera at all, I just fancy an upgrade. I tend to free t quite grainy photos with the Canon. As said I'm still a beginner so I need to knuckle down and learn how to use the equipment properly

Welcome. D3300 is a good camera. I have it for my work travel camera.

I had to look it up.
Bognor Regis - Wikipedia

The D3300 is a somewhat better camera than the Canon 350D, but the 350D is quite capable.

Really? I thought 'sunny bognor' was quite a well know place! A king once died here don't ya know... Hence the 'regis' haha

It is indeed, not saying the 350 is a bad camera at all, I just fancy an upgrade. I tend to free t quite grainy photos with the Canon. As said I'm still a beginner so I need to knuckle down and learn how to use the equipment properly

Your probably talking about noise from it's ISO performance as grainy. A D3300 or even the 2 year older D3200 would be much better in ISO performance than the 350D. The 350D is 10 years old design now and technology even in the entry level cameras are much higher now. If you go to Nikon you will need to switch lenses. Canon seems to have been in a lull lately with improvements in their entry level cameras. Nikon has clearly been putting in better performing sensors in theirs.

The best camera for you is the one you will use. Pick up the camera you're planning on getting and handle it. Try to use the controls? How do they feel in your hand? Is the camera too heavy? The frame too large, or too small, for your hands?

I used to have a D3300 and it's a nice beginner camera that has good high ISO / low light performance for the money. It is a good value. The 18-55 kit lens is a good value as well. The sensor and auto focus system are more advanced than your current set up.

The grain is actually noise produced by the lack of gain in the signal to noise ratio in relation to the sensor. You will experience this no matter what camera you have. It is best to find out what that threshold is on your current camera. I found with the D3300, 1600 ISO was about my top straight out of camera acceptability. Anything beyond that, it would require tweaks with post noise reduction software. The gain can be addressed with faster glass which will give you greater latitude in low light situations, such as indoor shooting in low light. Problem is, faster glass is more glass which = more money.

As @ KmH wisely stated, your camera is quite capable and I would encourage you to know that threshold of your acceptable ISO/Noise level is. Tell us in this thread what that is and the current lens you have. Problem with buying this camera off of eBay, it is a roll of the dice. You may get lucky but chances are 50/50 at best at getting a good, solid working camera.

I personally would suggest the Nikon D3300. I am a beginning photographer, and I bought the D3400, which is virtually the same camera, but it has snapbridge, which lets you share photos via bluetooth from your camera to your phone (but honestly, snapbridge doesn't work the greatest, and you can't share full resolution images), and they took out the microphone port that the D3300 has. On top of those things, the D3300 is going to be cheaper.
It is a great camera to learn on, and I've been able to pick up a lot of knowledge with it over the past few months I've owned it. From everything I have read, it is regarded as the best beginner dslr.

Happy hunting!

Welcome aboard.

I had to look it up.
Bognor Regis - Wikipedia

I had to look it up, too, and I'm a geographer / cartographer!

I had to look it up.
Bognor Regis - Wikipedia

Your probably talking about noise from it's ISO performance as grainy. A D3300 or even the 2 year older D3200 would be much better in ISO performance than the 350D. The 350D is 10 years old design now and technology even in the entry level cameras are much higher now. If you go to Nikon you will need to switch lenses. Canon seems to have been in a lull lately with improvements in their entry level cameras. Nikon has clearly been putting in better performing sensors in theirs.

Thank you,
The best camera for you is the one you will use. Pick up the camera you're planning on getting and handle it. Try to use the controls? How do they feel in your hand? Is the camera too heavy? The frame too large, or too small, for your hands?

I have held Nikons in the past and like the feel. It wouldn't hurt to actually try before buying tho. thank you.

I used to have a D3300 and it's a nice beginner camera that has good high ISO / low light performance for the money. It is a good value. The 18-55 kit lens is a good value as well. The sensor and auto focus system are more advanced than your current set up.

The grain is actually noise produced by the lack of gain in the signal to noise ratio in relation to the sensor. You will experience this no matter what camera you have. It is best to find out what that threshold is on your current camera. I found with the D3300, 1600 ISO was about my top straight out of camera acceptability. Anything beyond that, it would require tweaks with post noise reduction software. The gain can be addressed with faster glass which will give you greater latitude in low light situations, such as indoor shooting in low light. Problem is, faster glass is more glass which = more money.

As @ KmH wisely stated, your camera is quite capable and I would encourage you to know that threshold of your acceptable ISO/Noise level is. Tell us in this thread what that is and the current lens you have. Problem with buying this camera off of eBay, it is a roll of the dice. You may get lucky but chances are 50/50 at best at getting a good, solid working camera.

Ok, thank you for the detailed reply and advice. I'll have a look this evening to see what I have exactly.

Most reactions

Back