New to this...any advice!

wvdalejrfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am sooo new to this. I don't know what angles, how close or far away. What is the best approach. So I tried a couple different approaches. Which do you like best. And what can be done for improvement. This was just standing on my porch just out my kitchen door. I was bored and just playing around. Just trying to learn something. ;)

Any and all advice is appreciated! I need all the help I can get!!!

sunset3.jpg

sunsettape2.jpg

sunsetclose.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Dang, what a tree. Awesome specimen...I'd be photographing him year round, at all times of the day! :)

The top image is enormous! I have trouble viewing it -any chance you could re-size? It might be the strongest of the three images.

Love the colors. Your background is soft and lovely. In the third shot, the branches are cut off too much, and I
find myself looking for them. They're slightly cut off in the middle image, but not as much. All the images look a tad dark to me and a tad soft. You might get better results with a tripod; you could adjust your exposure that way and add some light.

Beautiful area! I'd love to see a smaller version of the top image. :)

Thanks Terri....funny thing got several pictures of this tree. I have a thing with it's funky style. It just catches my eye, just something about it. Glad to see I am not alone in that category. My husband already thinks I am short a few marbles. He wonders how many pictures I can take of the same tree. :) He'll be fine though. ;-)

I am working on this resize thing. That is intresting.

I will definately give it a try with my tripod. My little gal was taking a nap and I just stepped out and snapped a few kinda fast on these. Liked the colors with the clouds and it has been kinda cold here and cold porch and barefeet don't work well together. Will get my act together and take a little more time next time.

Thanks for all your kind words and the helpful tips.
I TRUELY APPRECIATE IT!!! Hope to learn and take some awesome pictures like I see posted. I so love the work of everyone here and it makes me want to absorb details and try new things. Thanks again.

wvdalejrfan,

thanks for sharing this beautiful tree. My suggestion is to keep going back - lighting is every changing and continue to explore this tree. Try all different angles (ie - from base of the trunk to the sky - or if you are ambitious, from the top top to the trunk :) ) at different times of the day.

don't forget that post processing can be just as magickal as taking the shot - don't be afraid to use the darkroom or your computer to unravel new facets of a familar subject ;)

I Like the 1st one the best. The tree is interesting but I like it more as part of the scene and not so dominant. I agree about changing the angles.
It is a nice shot. :)

Most reactions

Back