New to TPF / New to photography

crashcart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, all. I just got my first DSLR earlier this week and having no experience in photography (save for typical family/friends point and shoot stuff) I decided to just start snapping shots out of the box and see what I can come up with. Not knowing anything about composition, lighting, etc., I would love to get some feedback on these shots that I took while on business in NYC. Thanks in advance!

subwaygirl-07102008-side.jpg

subwaygirl-07102008-2-smaller.jpg

homelessgirl-07102008-smaller.jpg

hdrbuildingsnyc-07102008.jpg

Last edited:
I like the shots! I can't say what you might do to improve though as I'm a newbie too.

I like the shots! I can't say what you might do to improve though as I'm a newbie too.

Thanks for the comment. I really have non idea what I'm doing so I just want to get an idea of what works, what doesn't...
But hey, if you like them, then maybe I'm doing something right.

First one, seems like a little camera shake? Rest are good. :)

3rd one, im not sure... I dont think its great comp.. Needs a little tweaking

For first go, not to bad. I do think that on the first one, the focus was on the jacket, not the girl, she looks a little out of focus, but the jacket looks sharp. Keep practicing. :thumbup:

For first go, not to bad. I do think that on the first one, the focus was on the jacket, not the girl, she looks a little out of focus, but the jacket looks sharp. Keep practicing. :thumbup:

Your correct, I never noticed that as I was looking at the lovely girl. :oops:

im pretty new too, but as was said the first one was alittle out of focus. the second one i like and the third one i really like, kinda has some feeling about it. the fourth doesnt really have any focal point or main focus on subject. just my opinion:)

Thanks. The pics of that girl were candid shots (I have no idea who she was, I saw her in a subway station on Canal Street) and I wanted to learn to shoot proper, so I only used the A setting or went full manual on my shots. She kept moving, so I was shooting on the fly. I figure, what better way to learn your camera?

The other girl was homeless and begging for change. Gave the shot some serious/emotional vibe to it, in my opinion. I was trying to convey her suffering. Hopefully that doesn't sound too cliche.

Thanks for all of the responses, folks. I appreciate the feedback!

i enjoy the first one quite a lot.
The third one didn't really give me the feeling that the girl was homeless, maybe that scene would work better on a rainy/foggy day or during nighttime? Maybe if you took a shot of her with fast shutter speed, then took the exact same shot with slow shutter speed to capture the movement around her, and then you cut her out of the one with fast shutter speed and paste it on the one with slow shutter speed.
It would give the effect like: everyone goes by, but I just sit there, im different, stuck?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back