New to TPF

funke0719

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am new to TPF and wanted to make some friends who like me are wanting to learn more. I love taking pictures but get discouraged with myself easily and find myself losing interest. I want to talk with more people so that doesn't happen anymore. I want to learn from people and actually know what I am doing. The biggest problem I have is equipment, I have a Nikon D5000 with two lenses and that's it. I don't have the money to be buying better equipment especially because I don't know if I ever will have a career in photography. So I would like more help on how to make the most of my images with just a camera and photoshop. So any other new beginners wanting to talk and message and share some knowledge like me come and friend request me.

Thanks

The biggest problem I have is equipment, I have a Nikon D5000 with two lenses and that's it.

Hmm, I do not call that a problem.
When I started with my first SLR camera I had one lens (50mm) for half a year, then I got one more ... then half a year, one more.

Learning photography entails delving into several areas of study, like art and the many technical aspects of cameras, lenses, light, color, computers, and image editing.

Your D5000 user's manual is a very important key to understanding how to use your D5000 to it's full potential.

You will find some links to just some of that essential information in this thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

Welcome aboard.

I am still learning and have a limited amount of equipment as well. I try to learn what I can with what I have, and worry about expanding or upgrading when I need to go beyond those limitations.

Welcome! You have the desire to learn, and adequate equipment! That is all you need to start... the knowledge will come!

Your camera's fine just read up on the manual, also concentrate on the essentials like a tripod and flash gun, before you start to stack up on lenses.

I shoot with just my 18-105 kit lens and it does miracles. yes i would love to own prime lenses but I make the most of it with what i got. you will be pleasantly surprised how much creative stuff you can do with just one lense. don't get discourage and the most important thing to do is keep on shooting cause i guarantee you every time you will learn something new.

Welcome. That equipment will do just fine for you. In your search for information, don't disclude the manual. It tells you what you need to know.

Thank you everyone! I think this support on this site will help me stay motivated and the help will stop me from getting discouraged! Thanks!

You don't need expensive equipment to learn. Some might argue you would learn to understand exposure the quickest by using an old film camera. I recommend learning to use manual mode on your camera before you start getting into the other modes (aperture and shutter priority). If you have a good base in manual, then the priorities will make soooo much more sense.

Which lenses do you have? What do you like taking pictures of, if you have any preferences at all :) Oh, and welcome!

Photography is a lifelong journey/hobby. You can't expect to be an expert in a couple of days. Practice makes perfect. You should be happy and proud that you have a great camera and 2 lenses. Doesn't mean you do not have super expensive gadgets, you can't take awesome photos. I have seen people with just a compact digital camera and that person can take breathtaking photos (talent plays a role too). Everybody starts from zero, starts from their first lens, first dslr camera etc. I started from just a simple compact camera, then slowly upgrade to dslr etc.

The key is to keep practicing and improving yourself.

It's a fun hobby so enjoy capturing priceless moments with the existing gadgets that you have now. Sorry to be harsh, but your biggest problem is not your equipment. Your biggest problem is your mindset. You got to think more positively. If you aspire to be a great professional photographer in the future, work towards this goal. Nothing is impossible.

There are so many resources out there. There are tons of youtube videos teaching you how to shoot, how to edit photos in photoshop. There are tons of photography eBooks, courses, facebook group etc.

All in all, you are on the right track, buddy!

Just Do It! PM me if you need any help =)

Gerald.

I have a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lenses. I actually already know how to use the manual mode along with the aperture and shutter priority. One of my pet peeves with people who use DSLR's is when they spend the money on that kind of camera but then only shoot in automatic. Oh that drives me nuts! LOL

I can't really explain what I like taking pictures of. I like taking pictures of things that aren't going to make me money in photography. I wanted to get into photojournalism but I've given up on that. I never wanted to be a portrait photographer but am starting to want to learn more. I have a big issue with depth of field. I understand depth of field but have a hard time achieving it in portraits. I also struggle with lighting, I can take decent pictures when it's nice out and can use the natural light, but inside trying to use indoor lighting, well it never turns out for me.

Sorry to be harsh, but your biggest problem is not your equipment. Your biggest problem is your mindset. You got to think more positively. If you aspire to be a great professional photographer in the future, work towards this goal. Nothing is impossible.

Sorry to be harsh, but your biggest problem is not your equipment. Your biggest problem is your mindset. You got to think more positively. If you aspire to be a great professional photographer in the future, work towards this goal. Nothing is impossible.

You are not being harsh, it's the truth. I get frustrated easy and get negative about myself and want to give up. I know photography isn't that easy because if it was everyone would be doing it. So I am going to start thinking more positive like you said.

Thanks

Most reactions

Back