What's new

New Toys

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
517
Reaction score
25
Location
Fort Collins, CO
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just picked up an SB-700 and an SB-900. So far I really like the SB-700 but I'm a little disappointed with the 900. I love all of it's features updated from the SB-900 and it definitely feels like a solid flash however it has overheated on me a few times already which has been extremely annoying. Luckily I always have a backup flash on hand but it's still a pain to deal with. One of my associate photographers said he read that some model photographers to deal with this issue have actually drilled small holes in the flash head to help lessen over-heating. Has anyone heard of this?

DSC_3342.jpg
 
That probably why David hobby bought a boat load of SB800's
 
Last edited:
I have an SB-400 and wanted to upgrade so I Googled the SB-900 and there are quite a few reviews which mention overheating also, some mentioned the plastic filters melting (the SB-900 has a kind of slide system for filters?). The reviews for the SB-800 were very good but I could not find any for sale so, I ordered the SB-700 which should arrive next week. I haven't heard of anyone drilling holes in the SB-900 to prevent overheating. Personally, I wouldn't because these things are not cheap and if they are overheating, I would prefer to take it back and change it for one of the other models.
 
Last edited:
Hate to hear about the overheating! It has been working out great for me.
 
Unfortunately the SB-900 is my only choice, I wish the SB-700 had a sync port. I still have the 800 which I use for a backup if it does in fact over-heat. Hopefully Nikon fixes it in the future.
 
Well, My next speedlight is going to be a Nissin di866 Mark II. i heard nothing but good thing about it,
has a socket for a powerpack, it almost as powerfull as a sb-900 and at half the price i think i am going to go and buy 2.

http://www.nissindigital.com/en/di866mkii.html
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom