Urgent - updates to flickr and new account limits!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Overread, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Dikkie

Dikkie No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's also 500px , google photos, imgur, instagram, photobucket,...

2. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Of all the sites, Flickr is by far the best one hands down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Me2please

Me2please TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tried Google Photo back when they first introduced it more of a place to back up photos on the cloud and Google lowered the size and resolution of the photos when I downloaded them so I was disappointed with Google photo. I'll have to take a look at the others.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. birdbonkers84

birdbonkers84 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Think I went pro a year ago? barely notice the £5 a month. I prefer it to instagram and there are some really good groups on it. Sitting at around 700 photos, but I could probably cut that by half if i could be bothered.

5. Dikkie

Dikkie No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I always wondered if there is an algorithm behind Flickr such as Instagram has, which puts some photos on top, or longer visible, ... and how the algorithm works to get a better visibility.

There are people who always like to have more views, or likes or comments. For some, it's like a competition.

Personally, I use Flickr to host photos that I post on Forums (to discuss). It's nice to have comments/likes on Flickr, but not my main priority.
    (there's aswel some question marks about the value of these likes, as there are lots of people just scrolling and randomly liking photos, without caring or viewing it, just to get likes back in return)

Now... to get to the point.
    I noticed, until a while ago (a year?), I had significantly more views/likes than when I post photos nowadays.
    Even though I use the same ways of posting them, tagging them, placing them in the same groups, posting them on the same forums, ...

Some people tell me (about instagram) that your visibility grows faster when you have less followers than the people you follow.
    Sometimes on Flickr you see people posting lousy photos that get so much likes/comments, pictures that anyone could have taken, there's apparently no much criticism.

I first though that people with a PRO get priority or something, but it happens with free accounts too.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The one thing with Flickr that I really have to laugh at sometimes is, Yes you get some great photos on Explore but some are just crap and look like a child with a mobile phone would of taken a better photo.

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Flickr does/did have its own algorithm thingy for showing off "random" popular photos that used to be a pretty popular game for some to try and get onto. I forget what it was called.

That said in general there are people who have a LOT of followers, however in general I notice that they also follow a LOT of blogs. I've seen some people following tens of thousands of people (they must either use a bot or get SUPER bored following everyone they can find). Because a good proportion of people just auto-follow back; or will follow back if someone has half decent skills.

I tend to not follow those people unless they are interesting and REALLY outstanding (otherwise I'm just feeding their ego whilst they aren't really feeding mine :p)

8. Timppa

Timppa No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have put so much time and effort in storing my pictures in flickr in albums, I have loads of pictures there! And I do not use it for the likes, I use it for safe keep and to show pictures to friends and family.
    I also have the pictures safe on computer tough.
    What are free better/other alternatives than flickr?

9. TreeofLifeStairs

TreeofLifeStairs No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I don’t know if there are any that are free AND better. There are still ones that are free but I wouldn’t say better and ones that are better but are not free. I think most options have already been talked about.

10. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I use flickr to post albums of events and I send a link to people. I could care less about likes or views. My problem is the upload since I have a poor internet connection. It is a PITA. It takes a while for pages to load as well.

I recently joined Facebook again and have been scaling images down and creating albums on there, much quicker and easier. I hate Facebook though, all the opinions and stuff irritate me.

If I ever get good at photography, I will probably look into a better way for my personal stuff. I think I'm leaning on a website which I started but don't have any good images to put out there yet.

11. markjwyatt

markjwyatt No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Even if you have a website it can make sense to host your images on Flickr, then link them in to the website. The advantage of Flickr is you have independent viewing of your images (you can also have links to the website on Flickr), plus it makes it easy to post on forums, etc.

12. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I don't know. I have so many amateur pics on it, probably best to let it purge or purge it. I have only been in photography for 2 - 3/4 years. I am still waiting to get consistently average anyway. I am not very good at the moment.