Urgent - updates to flickr and new account limits!

I have found the best and safest place for your photos is on your hard drive. vin

I have found the best and safest place for your photos is on your hard drive. vin
Until the drive crashes.
But isn't that what backups are for? You can store all your flash drives elsewhere.

This is when I appreciate being a luddite. All this extra money and time, and the industry has you by the short hairs. It would aggravate me to no end.

The problem with your harddrive is it doesn't display photos online for you ;)

Until the drive crashes.
But isn't that what backups are for? You can store all your flash drives elsewhere.

This is when I appreciate being a luddite. All this extra money and time, and the industry has you by the short hairs. It would aggravate me to no end.
That's my point. A (single) hard drive is only safe as long as it works properly.

The problem with your harddrive is it doesn't display photos online for you ;)
yes it does, without the cloud. also, the hard drive can be removed and downloaded, with the use of an "adaptor" and it becomes a storage item. vin

If you’re using Flickr as your cloud backup I don’t think that was its intended purpose.

Post the pictures you’re proud of and want to share with others on Flickr (or one of the other many hosting sites).

That being said, I thought when they rolled out the 1TB of free space that they said that it was going to be free forever. I don’t remember reading the fine print but I do feel like they are going back on something they had said they would offer.

It doesn’t make much difference to me personally though since I’m no where near 1000 pics.

Doesn’t adobe give 1TB of cloud storage with their $10/mo photography package?

Adobe gives storage space, but I've no idea if it ties into embedding onto website and forums. I think Adobe is more focused on giving you storage that lets you work on different computers linked to cloud data storage. Remember its not just storage space that's an issue its bandwidth when displaying image stored on an online service.

There's also 500px , google photos, imgur, instagram, photobucket,...

If you were not tied to deeply into Flickr where would you go instead to upload your photos?

Of all the sites, Flickr is by far the best one hands down.

There's also 500px , google photos, imgur, instagram, photobucket,...
I tried Google Photo back when they first introduced it more of a place to back up photos on the cloud and Google lowered the size and resolution of the photos when I downloaded them so I was disappointed with Google photo. I'll have to take a look at the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I went pro a year ago? barely notice the £5 a month. I prefer it to instagram and there are some really good groups on it. Sitting at around 700 photos, but I could probably cut that by half if i could be bothered.

I always wondered if there is an algorithm behind Flickr such as Instagram has, which puts some photos on top, or longer visible, ... and how the algorithm works to get a better visibility.

There are people who always like to have more views, or likes or comments. For some, it's like a competition.

Personally, I use Flickr to host photos that I post on Forums (to discuss). It's nice to have comments/likes on Flickr, but not my main priority.
(there's aswel some question marks about the value of these likes, as there are lots of people just scrolling and randomly liking photos, without caring or viewing it, just to get likes back in return)

Now... to get to the point.
I noticed, until a while ago (a year?), I had significantly more views/likes than when I post photos nowadays.
Even though I use the same ways of posting them, tagging them, placing them in the same groups, posting them on the same forums, ...

Some people tell me (about instagram) that your visibility grows faster when you have less followers than the people you follow.
Sometimes on Flickr you see people posting lousy photos that get so much likes/comments, pictures that anyone could have taken, there's apparently no much criticism.

I first though that people with a PRO get priority or something, but it happens with free accounts too.

The one thing with Flickr that I really have to laugh at sometimes is, Yes you get some great photos on Explore but some are just crap and look like a child with a mobile phone would of taken a better photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back