New user looking for advice

liamh123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Liam, and I'm not really just beginning to get into photography, but I wouldn't say I'm experienced. I'm after getting my first dslr camera soon and have narrowed it down to two options.

I'm primarily going to use the camera for stills, but video is very important for me too, as I'm buying the camera in the hopes of creating some short films with friends on my university course.

The cameras I've narrowed it down to are the Canon 60D and the Canon 600D, which is where you lot come in. As I have the option of getting a 600D and then a few months later getting another lens or just buying the 60D for a the price of the 600D and the extra lens. The reason I can't make my mind up is that I'm not sure of whether buying a £200 lens would do me a great deal of good. Obviously it would mean I'd have another lens, but from what I've seen, the £200 lenses don't seem to be that great, which is why I was thinking about putting the extra money into a better camera.

I'm going to have to get either camera with the kit lens as I don't own any at the moment, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Go with the better camera. Crappy lenses aren't good to use. The better camera is a better investment.

To make good videos you'll ned to get some accessories, so be sure and budget more $$$'s for things like an external mike, rear LCD loupe, follow focus add-on, constant lighting, etc....(more than £200 worth)

The camera is only as good as the lens that provides the image to the camera image sensor.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've budgeted in for the video accessories that I'll need, the £200 is just the spare money after that. I plan on keeping the body for quite a few years, which is why I'm leaning towards the 60D at the moment.

Thanks for the help both of you

Most reactions

New Topics

Back