New website logo

Glad you liked them. I'm still suffering from this inability to sleep tonight. I thought I'd play around some more. Here's an animated version. :D
-
wjc4ci.gif

Like the animation... The font for me is still an issue... even though i love the letter C. The height of the letters is messing with my eyes, especially when it come to the word Lucidity. I love the orange color one more because the gradient is not that noticeable as in the gray scale. And I like the logo in gray scale without the shutter image even though it helps. It just gives off a different mood to the logo. Great job.

Love the idea of the website Battou. I thought I'd give you a few ideas here since I couldn't sleep. Here's 2 designs I came up with.

29cl40k.jpg

Glad you liked them. I'm still suffering from this inability to sleep tonight. I thought I'd play around some more. Here's an animated version. :D
-
wjc4ci.gif

I like those a lot. I don't like the font though - the "t"s look too much like "l"s <-- (that's a lowercase L).

The font of lucidity I like the evenness in height. That's what i meant in the post above. This font is the one, it's great to me.

As someone who once made a living as a graphic artist, my favorite is the original one. But the main problem with all of them is the shape. If this logo is going to be used on a website, choose a shape that is plenty different from a banner.

mikemicki's designs are nice for banners but not for a logo. Especially the animated one. How are you going to use an animated logo outside the web?

A logo is part of your "company's" image so it is very important. And it needs to work wherever you are going to use it such as on letterhead, invoices, business cards, etc. Even if today you are only using it on a website, it still needs to be usable somewhere else. You just never know what the future will bring.

When I designed a logo with more than one color I also made sure it worked with a one color version. And if it didn't look good in B&W, I'd go back to the drawing board. Again, one never knows.

It also helps to understand the printing industry when you create designs such as a logo. Even in the age of digital printing some of the old rules still apply.

I am in the process of designing a t-shirt for a non-profit group I belong to and because we want as many members as possible to buy it, so that people know who we are when we do an event, it has to be kept cheap. At the same time, we want it to look good enough that we may be able to sell it to raise some money. So far, the old screenprinting technique is still the best looking one and, to keep it cheap, it is going to be two colors only and it needs to look good on either a white or color t-shirt. Those two colors will not touch because, if they did, it would be more expensive to print...

Sorry for the lesson in printing but, with the age of computers, I have seen many people call themselves designers whose designs are unprintable at a reasonable cost.:wink:

Love the idea of the website Battou. I thought I'd give you a few ideas here since I couldn't sleep. Here's 2 designs I came up with.

29cl40k.jpg

-
wjc4ci.gif

I like those a lot. I don't like the font though - the "t"s look too much like "l"s <-- (that's a lowercase L).

I agree 100% with O|||||||O.

As someone who once made a living as a graphic artist, my favorite is the original one. But the main problem with all of them is the shape. If this logo is going to be used on a website, choose a shape that is plenty different from a banner.

mikemicki's designs are nice for banners but not for a logo. Especially the animated one. How are you going to use an animated logo outside the web?

A logo is part of your "company's" image so it is very important. And it needs to work wherever you are going to use it such as on letterhead, invoices, business cards, etc. Even if today you are only using it on a website, it still needs to be usable somewhere else. You just never know what the future will bring.

When I designed a logo with more than one color I also made sure it worked with a one color version. And if it didn't look good in B&W, I'd go back to the drawing board. Again, one never knows.

It also helps to understand the printing industry when you create designs such as a logo. Even in the age of digital printing some of the old rules still apply.

I appologize if I was misleading, this is a free public website, so the chances of the logo being seen in print are slim. However you do bring up a good point in that, that possibility should be kept open in a cost effective manor. The original logo was litterally thrown together. It currently double tasks as both a banner and the logo, I am almost positive the one who designed it has absolutely no interest in photography resulting in lazy design, to put it bluntly.

Even then the animated banner could proove useful in the event we do purchasse some ad space on the web at some point, but I am not seeing that at the moment, we are still trying to sell our own ad space.

I don't think that black and white sufficiently stands out, particularly when the title blends into the background. It also does not give a modern, latest technology feel to the web site either.

I would go colour and consider a 3D font for a raised, or embossed look. You could also consider setting up a photo of "photographic items" and then photoshop in the title in 3D. Of course, since it is for a web site, you should be considering an animated gif, also as a possibility.

You need to consider what impression, feel, attitude, do you want to engender in the viewer through the logo about the site, and then think about all the tools, and methods possible to achieve it.

skieur

"I appologize if I was misleading"

No need for apology whatsoever and I don't think you were misleading.

I'm an older guy offering my experience and one of the things I've learned is that too many people forget to think about the day after tomorrow. And, again, you never know what the day after tomorrow is going to bring your way.

In case it wasn't clear in my last post, I actually like the animated design. I even like the font although I would make it color to bring some more life to the overall design. But it is not a logo.

If you need inspiration, just open a magazine or just look around your place. One thing you should notice is that most very well known logos are actually very simple designs. Apple (mac), Coke, Nike, etc.

Coke is the best know logo in the world.

Apple's is a great example of possibilities. Even though the basis of the logo (the apple) is super simple, I have seen quite a few variations in the actual design.

Here is an exercise for you: without looking anywhere, think of ten logos. I'll bet you they'll all be fairly simple ones. Why? Because they're easier to remember ;)

Good luck with your re-design.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back