New York Minute

Lew, your "meatier" work is:

- more technically "correct" which on TPF means "less to criticize"
- contains fewer directly expressible ideas, which can be talked about

Without the title, this one might be nothing. WITH it, it becomes a pretty strong effort at a metaphorical work expressing something about something.

Most of your work is exquisitely well made, frequently very beautiful, but what it actually says is harder to get your arms around. It's not that it's better or worse, it's simply that there seems to be less to talk about with it. On good days, there is rather more to feel.

I've just never seen anyone respond to a critique this way and then comment on how this shot gets more negative attention than what you perceive as your better or "meatier" photos, especially when you are so willing to point out what you dislike in other people's photos. It almost sounds like you're complaining about the negative comments, when you should be thankful that anyone is taking the time to give you feedback, rather than suggesting that you did them a favor by giving them the opportunity to comment on your photo.

This picture, which is unfortunately derivative and not any great insight, drew views and comments and the other one, which I like a great deal, posted earlier got many views and nary a response.
I don't mind negative comments - especially if they make sense in terms of the picture.
I don't mind telling people exactly what I like or dislike about their pictures. I loved teaching and this is the same.
If I don't care for a person, I don't look at their pictures and don't put in the effort to be truthful.

I'm not sure if it's because this doesn't seem to hold up to your 'normal' work Lew, or just because it doesn't grab me in any way, but I'm really not fond of this one. I see (I think) where you were going, but...

I sort of agree. I just tried this to see if if worked at any level and wanted to see how people would respond.

Lew, your "meatier" work is:

- more technically "correct" which on TPF means "less to criticize"
- contains fewer directly expressible ideas, which can be talked about

Without the title, this one might be nothing. WITH it, it becomes a pretty strong effort at a metaphorical work expressing something about something.

Most of your work is harder to get your arms around. It's not that it's better or worse, it's simply that there seems to be less to talk about with it. On good days, there is rather more to feel.

Thanks, Andy, for telling me that what I show sometimes hits the mark.
I like and care about technical correctness only so far as it gets out of the way of appreciating a picture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back