New York, post 9-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

a4drvr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took this Pic after 9-11.

ny1.jpg

I understand that there was a long exposure but you could have use a tripod or at least put a camera on a trash can, try to hold it on the wall, because the shot is moved, and that spoils everything:(

There wasnt a long exposure? unless auto focus put it on that. I was actually in the middle of the street, crossing it. 90% of my pics came out blury that nite and I have no idea why.

hmm, this is the critique gallery isnt it...

I think the composition and framing of this pic could do alot better...

there are too many things going on in this pic, i.e. the police, the moving car, the sign on the wall and the bright lights... and they do not complement one another at all...

I do not like this at all... Doesn't look like any thought was given into taking this shot... simply a shot of a police with a big gun

elucidati said:
I do not like this at all...

Yeah, I don't like that at all either. Machine guns can't stop kamikaze jetliners, but they sure can make me spitting mad (and glad I don't live in america). Seriously - what the f***, america?

walter23 said:
elucidati said:

Yeah, I don't like that at all either. Machine guns can't stop kamikaze jetliners, but they sure can make me spitting mad (and glad I don't live in america). Seriously - what the f***, america?

dont blame all americans, plus this is about the picture not the politics I would agree that they're going overboard with the weapons and everything but if some one disagrees thats find I dont think this is the place for debate about anything other then photography and art.

edit: oh yea, the picture is a bit blurry

a4drvr said:
There wasnt a long exposure? unless auto focus put it on that. I was actually in the middle of the street, crossing it. 90% of my pics came out blury that nite and I have no idea why.
I like that cab and the idea is great. :thumbsup:

Auto-focus helps you to focus; it does not guarantee you a blur-free image.
When you shoot at night (low-light), in order to get a blur-free picture the camera has to be really steady. You should be the tripod if a real tripod is a hazzle for your evening stroll. Lean on to something which supports you (tree, wall etc), press the camera firlmy to your face, gently press the shutter release button.

Good luck!

If the police man were in focus I think this would have been a most interesting shot. Unfortunately then the signs in the background would not be as cool.

nomav6 said:
dont blame all americans, plus this is about the picture not the politics I would agree that they're going overboard with the weapons and everything but if some one disagrees thats find I dont think this is the place for debate about anything other then photography and art.

"there are two people in every photograph - the photographer and the viewer."

You can't remove the viewers reaction to a Peace Officer holding an assault rifle. I don't see a discussion about politics, I see someone else having my exact reaction - what the f*k, America?

I won't echo the complaints about framing and camera shake, I agree will the critiques. But, I add another item: for this to work, the viewer must know that this is in America. After all, if this was taken in a third-world militarist state, it wouldn't be remarkable.

matthew robertson said:
Peace Officer

Freudian slip?

Anyway. I actually like the photo. If only it reminds me of Bladerunner. A highly artistic film.

The police officer should be in focus of course, but that's been covered. The blurred cab however adds to the photo immensely. It adds movement to the emotion that the photo brings.

To reply to some of the political things people are commenting on, it's an illusion of safety, nothing more. Seeing a (heavily) armed officer on your street corner is to make you think you are safe. In late 2001/2002 I remember seeing loads of fighter jets fly over head. When they were rather rare before that. They are there to make you think, 'oh whew we're protected'. Whether it's true or not is a whole different story.

You can actually use your camera's long exposure night mode to your advantage. I've taken many photos of street lights blurred in cool patterns or designs, sure many don't turn out, but that's the point of digital, no costs. ;) I'd post some examples but I don't want to hi-jack your thread.

Pun uninteded. I digress.

Thats for the help in regards to the blur, I was crossing the street walking, and almost got hit by a taxi. And walter23, America is GLAD you dont live here! Stupid canadian. I was watching the history channel and an American 19th century war cannon shot more accurate than a $500,000 modern day canadian cannon and 5 canadian soliders were using it compared to one American! So why dont you keep your stupid coments to yourself about ( aboot for you) other Countries.

walter23 said:
elucidati said:

Why is it that everybody who hates guns, loves it when Americans bring their guns to defend them? It seems to me that it was America who first realized over 200 years ago that an armed citizen is capable of stopping despotism. We originated the idea of freedom and it is becuase of our guns that we have it. I totally disagree with your premise the machine guns can't stop kamikaze jetliners. If one person had been armed with even a little 22 pistol. He would have been able to kill the terrorists before they turned the planes into guuided missles. But sheep like you want to be lead around by your noses and protected by Americans when you run into trouble.

As for the photo, I like it. I echo the sentiment about needing to use a tripod or a rest. I also would have tried to get more in front of the Peace Officer (no freudian slip). Seeing his facial features would lend personality to the shot. Plus you would have had a chance to pick up a larger collection of signs and lights so the clurriness could look more like an out of focus background. All in all, I like the idea of the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back