New

Clancyz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My father was a big photographer back in the day before Olympia became digital and I always enjoyed his work.. Anyways thats how I became somewhat interested in photography, and with that I started taking pictures with my canon powershot (power****). Proceeding, I just ordered a Rebel XS and am extremely excited, I just wanted to post some pictures I think are decent for a powershot. critic away!

those are really nice! even though we all know that a DSLR is every photographer's dream, we must not forget our humble beginnings with our point and shoots...i know mine has gotten me through many a time...lol

Those look really good! especially for a p&s, Good job.
I really like the first one.

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, Clancyz, and congrats on your new DSLR. It's good to have a dad who can teach you some photography basics, isn't it? And to grow up with cameras around and all that. Helps heaps, I say. (I was lucky to have a dad and uncle in the family who dedicated quite a bit of time to that hobby when I was little).

The first digital camera I OWNED (used a borrowed one before that) was a Powershot, and I have always been happy with it and would not want to lower its value with the label "P&S", for mine (at least, an A95) is a lot MORE than just that, I can go fully manual with it, if I want to, down to using manual focus (though that is a bit of a pain, but it works, if I want it to work!). It has custom settings, of course, like AUTO mode, P mode, and some icons that stand for other things (daylight, nighttime, landscape, sports), but apart from that you can choose aperture priority, shutter priority and fully manual. You may not get as many ISO settings as you get out of a DSLR, and as of 200ISO, the photos show a lot of noise, and you cannot get as long shutter speeds as you get out of a DSLR, you also can't stop down any further than F8, but well... the options certainly are wider than you would expect from a "P&S"!

And I've taken many a GOOD photo with the Powershot, among them also my all-time favourite one in New York City (which features in the Photo Theme thread on "Good photos taken with a P&S" somewhere). Which shows that in the end it is NOT the camera that takes the photos...

Most reactions

Back