Newb photograph going to india

foges

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, Im a new member here and i really need some help on choosing a good camera. Im going to india in a couple of weeks and i dont have a camera *shock*. Now since i am going out on the country side i wont be using a digital camera due to lack of power. So i need a film camera. I really have little idea what i should get. I want a camera that will take pictures easily (af), the quality doesnt have to be great though. What would you guys recomend. I dont have a lot of money to spend and it shouldnt be to heavy either. Would an slr like the pentax MZ-60 date be good? or what should i get? Thanx a lot for all of your help :D

it really depends on what you want your price range to be...i would recommend anything from the nikon n series. (nikon n55, 75, 100). you can get an n55 with a lens and a couple accessories for like 200 at a best buy if i remember correctly.

For light weight. And I'm talking in the pocket book too. Maybe something like the canon rebel. Either new or used might be a good way to go.

thanx, what rebel are you talking about though, because as far as i can see there are 4 of them. any good european stores for them or the nikons?

Ps: would it be recomended to buy a camera from ebay, or have ppl had bad experiences with them?

for a new af camera, you'd better prospect in an 'actual' camera shop, for ebay is rather, in my opinion, for expensive material that you can't find at a realistic price in shops.
I have a F75 (european version of the n75) and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. It's really cell-greedy, a bit too "plastic".
But it's a nice camera overall, except that AF lens are a bit too expensive.
If I was you, I'd take a Manual focus camera, which will be more enjoyable, less expensive and as fast as a AF camera when you know one or two tricks (for ex. the hyperfocal distance which allow to have sharp picture from 10ft to the infinite without any focusing action).
Take a good Nikon FE, which is a great cameras with auto exposure function; and a 50 1.4 lens.
You'll be really happier than with an all-plastic camera, and will keep it longer.
As it is a used cameras, you can actually find them on ebay for a ridiculous price.

I looked at the Rebels and the GII looked nice for the price. Get a couple of lenses and good supply of batteries, you should be ready for the trip.

Keh.com is a reputed store. :thumbup:

All good points. Canon Rebel series... Nikon... N55 or 75 will all serve you well. When traveling, I'd ditch the branded straps and go with some generic strap without branding. Low key non flashy camera without the big branding on the straps that scream steal me.

The Pentax is also good but has fallen behind Canon and Nikon over the years. I collect older Pentax's and it pains me to admit it.

All the bad guys do not necessarily have to camp in the third world nations ;). They also roam the murky streets of Tokyo, LA, NYC, Paris etc. Just be careful as you would be anywhere else on planet earth and enjoy the trip.

Cheers! :)

PS: If you plan to go to the south, just email me.

A Contax T2 or T3 would be perfect for you, but they are possibly a bit expensive - about £400 in the UK. That's second-hand as well.

very helpful, thanx.
The cameras seem a bit expensive as i am just a newb photograph and chances are that something could happen to it (not only get stolen), so i would rather buy a more expensive camera when i get back. Thanx for the advice on the strap :D

btw, do canon lenses for example work with nikon cameras and vice versa?

Anyone know if any of these camera/lens combinations are any good or if they are much too cheap?

Canon
EOS 650 & 620
IX 50
REBEL G

Nikon
N60

MINOLTA AUTO FOCUS - NON-MFG ZOOMS
70-210 F4.5-5.6 VIVITAR (55) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS

http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT...MA&CID=09&SOID=N&ISPRICE=35.0&dpsp=0&curpic=0

MINOLTA AUTO FOCUS - NON-MFG ZOOMS
80-210 F4.5-5.6 TAMRON (52) WITH HOOD, CAPS, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS

http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT...MA&CID=09&SOID=N&ISPRICE=37.0&dpsp=0&curpic=0

PENTAX AUTO FOCUS - NON-MFG ZOOMS
28-80 F3.5-5.6 TAMRON ASPHERICAL (58) WITH HOOD, CAPS, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM WIDE ANGLE LENS

http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT...AP&CID=09&SOID=N&ISPRICE=39.0&dpsp=0&curpic=0

ps, im going to the north by the himalayas

Id suggest you go with a Canon 300V, I have a 300D and a 300V, but my 300V is still my baby, shes a beautiful camera, and at her price well worth it...

I don't think a manual camera is for you because you say you don't have any real photography experience, you would be forced to use a handheld meter, which is probobly more complicated than you want.

I'd get an n65 w/ kit lense, It can be had for relitivly cheap, about 175-200 (US)

or, if you want a P&S, a Yashica T-4 is supposed to be a very good camera, i beleive it has a 35mm f/2.8.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back