What's new

newb pic here! CC welcome

reignmkr

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's one of my favorite pics so far.

I was definetely trying to capture the colors of the subject as well as some of the reflection from the water, but didn't want that to be overpowering from the rowboats.

Let me know what you think, things I should try differently or what I got right, if any. Thanks.
2236017892_7692de3087.jpg
 
it'd be a great shot if the boat in the bottom left wasn't cut off.
 
thx molsen... why so?
 
I know the boats are the main focus but there seems to be something missing from the shot, maybe if the light blue painted boat was in the center? (not that you could have changed that :) )
You definatly capture the colours..very nice
 
thx molsen... why so?
because the whole boat isn't in the picture. would you take a picture of 3 people and cut off the head of the 3rd person (if that was possible)? of course not. similarly, the boats are your subject, and you shouldn't just show part of it. plus, with the boats being at about the same angle relative to the dock, you have a good opportunity for repetition/pattern in your photo.
 
thx for the CC molsen... i'll keep that in mind next time... see, thats the info I needed... kinda difficult to get that from your initial post... i hope you understand why i asked you for your input...
 
of course i understand. now get out there and shoot it again! whenever you're shooting anything like this, always try different angles, zooms, positions, etc. really mix it up and try things you wouldn't normally try. you'll be surprised what awesome stuff you come up with!
 
of course i understand. now get out there and shoot it again! whenever you're shooting anything like this, always try different angles, zooms, positions, etc. really mix it up and try things you wouldn't normally try. you'll be surprised what awesome stuff you come up with!

I totally agree with molsen. I personally think this shot would have been fantastic had it been shot from an angle lower to the dock. Don't be afraid to get down on one knee or even on your stomach to get a good shot. Also if you're shooting with a DSLR sometimes you just need to "wing it" from an angle close to the ground, just set the camera close to the ground and take several shots, you can always straigthen them later!
 
reignmkr, guess what? I totally disagree with what's been said.
set rules and methods inhibit the advance of all types of art if your asking me. I don't adhere to a set of standards that Johnny Photo tells me I should, because in turn, I'll be recognized as an avid photographer. That being said, I think your photo is very nice. The fact that the back portion of the photo is cut off doesn't bother me, nor does it distract my eye. The color and texture in it hold my eye to certain parts. In closing, I too encourage you to try new angles and perspectives, but work with what you've got. If you're photo looks great to you, then make great things happen with it.

Best regards man,

-Brad
 
thx brad.

I understand and respect your viewpoint. While all the above posts are subjective, I want to understand what people's thoughts are towards my photography. It lets me know if my intentions towards the photo is felt by others. Their advice are beneficial, but by all means don't dictate what I do.

Cheers!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom