Newbee macro question

A regular macro lens starts with a higher native magnification so, when compared to a regular lens, you would get less overall magnification. However performance should still be very good and I suspect the reason you see more shots with macro lenses with the MSN 505 is that its the kind of addon people buy after they get the macro lens; whilst options like the DCR 250 are things people often buy before to have a play around with.

The dcr 250 looks great also and i think would be enough for me since it's my first try at macro. I got two lenses , the 24-105mm standard and another one which is 75-300mm. Which one would give me the better pictures? Sorry if you already specified this earlier but i just started with photography and am still a bit green on the subject lol.

Considering your earlier reversed lens photos I'd think the DCR250 might not give you as much as your reversed lens combo is giving you, but its certainly a good start and nothing stops you later adding the MSN 505 to your setup.

As for the lenses its a tricky choice - the attachments will give you the greatest magnification on the 300mm over the 105mm however you'll then have to consider optical quality and it might be here that you use it on one lens over the others. Also note you could, say, use it at the 200mm point on the zoom rather than the full 300mm (since most zooms are softer the longer they are set to).

I know it's kinda difficult for this lens to be as effective as the reversed lens but im not aiming to shoot such small insects with it. The spiderling in the pic has the size of a small mosquito. What im aiming for is to photograph larger insects like flies,grasshoppers,dragon flies and maybe have a bit of detail like the eyes etc. My current lenses offer me no such possibilities.

Cheers : )

Ok. So with my 60mm and my crop 7D...if I were to get down with Raynox for fast fun...which one?

DCR 250 would be my choice, I got the same one originally with my 70mm macro lens and it gives a good boost to magnification, but isn't so extreme that things become too unworkable. The 150 would be a bit too weak for a shorter macro lens whilst the 202 and 505 are far more powerful and, whilst very usable, might be more tricky to get used to.

Thank You!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back