Newbie here ;)

Melissa0927

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am brand new to the world of photography and look forward to learning from all of you.

Wanted to share a few pics - look forward to any insight that you all have to offer. Thanks!
172.jpg

066.jpg

042copy.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I think your shutter speed was not set properly. No issue, just make sure it's over 125 and you should be ok

3 is decent. The other 2 are way out of focus. What set up are you using? Welcome to the forums.

Canon Rebel T1i with the kit lens .... I will be recieving the 50mm 1.4 tomorrow ( any pointers )

Thanks !!

Yeah, I think your shutter speed was not set properly. No issue, just make sure it's over 125 and you should be ok

Hi Melissa,
For the 1st one, Exif reads shutter speed at 1/400th, so the first is missed focus due to the child swinging back and forth, you can see the focus is good on the swing coupling, set your focus to AI Servo and release the shutter when swinging away from you would be my method to get it sharp, 1/400th should be plenty as she probably wasnt moving all that fast.

2nd could be either missed focus or missed focus and a touch of camera shake, shot at 250mm @ 1/400th.

3rd has nice composition and focus is good, but you've got some issues with the highlights on her dress and shirt becoming blownout, the detail is there by the looks, so this may have been a post processing issue perhaps.

Hope this helps.

The little girl is absolutely adorable:) I love the third photo!

My pointer would be to work on adjusting exposure properly to get the shot in focus and also to use the AF points to assist with this. If you can't get an an infocus shot with that kit lens, you certainly will have trouble with a shallow 50mm prime. If you havent already, learn how to use Av and Tv mode. Av will be very useful with that 50mm lens, since you are going to want to have control over that DOF or else it can ruin a shot easily.

Thanks so much for all the input.

When I recieve my new lens today I will be sure to do lots of practice in AV. :) Thanks !!!

Most reactions

Back