Newbie here

BEEF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new here on this Forum. I have been on others for different things. I am just a amateur and freelance all over the sierras and sometimes to the Bay area. I love to shoot and am currently over 30K digital images. Most of my family but the rest are of Landscapes and that is what I love to shoot. So I don't have big expensive equipment Nikon D5000 and a couple of lenses. Is there a good wide angle lens that is inexpensive that is good for Landscapes? Most i've seen are $1200- or so.

A 35mm prime on your camera will give you the equivalent of a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera. That's close to the perspective you see with your eyes, just not as much to the sides.
So the question is how wide do you want to go?

Here are a couple of quick samples to give an idea of lenses -
Top left is 14 - (21mm equivalent)
Top right is 18 - (27mm equivalent)
Bottom left is 35 - (52mm equivalent)
lens-sample--14---21mm.jpg lens-sample--18---27-mm.jpg lens-sample--35---52mm.jpg

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 PRO II is really good, but they (Tokina) have a new 11-20 f/2.8 which caught my attention, but I don't know much about it. Both are pretty cheap ($600 and under) through Adorama. I really like the 11-16 though, and used to have one, but I had to sell it after having a baby and needing extra money for bills at the time. Unfortunately, I never got around to replacing it. I was going to get a direct replacement, but I think I'm going to hold off until I can learn more about the new version. If it's anything like its predecessor, consider one sold!

I've had good sucess with second hand lenses from B&H photo video out of New York. I have found that their online rating system is accurate. I about a Canon L Series wide angle, and old 16-35mm 2.8 and was really happz with it. I also got it at about half the price of a new one. I don't think I would have gotten a better deal.

Anyway if you want a decent lens adn what to save a few bucks it might be work a look around their used department on their website.

I am also into Lanscape photography and I use this 16-35mm about 80 percent of the time, On a crop factor body, it was my default. With a full frame sensor I feel pretty good with a 24mm, and don't often need anything wider.

Most, if not all manufacturers have wide angle zooms designed for the APS-C sensor, so the crop factor does not apply. Sigma, Tamron and Tokina manufacture lenses to fit Nikon, and all three make wide angle zooms designed to eliminate the crop factor caused by the smaller sensor. Dyxum has a lens database, Alpha A-mount and E-mount lenses guide, with reviews. Dyxum is dedicated to Konica Minolta and Sony mount cameras, but the reviews for 3rd party manufacturers are relevant, at least you can get an idea of what is available.

I have bought used gear from Adorama, B&H, KEH and EBAY. I have had no problems with anything purchased from the first three, and very few problems with EBAY.

Phil

Lenses mm rating is based on the 35mm film standards. It's my understanding that crop sensor camera lenses don't change that they just don't work well on full frame cameras. The crop factor applies. I know the 18mm lens on my D5300 is more like 27mm in use while the 10mm is about 15mm. Look at the bottom photo in my post above and that very much looks like 50mm perspective.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back