Newbie looking for opinion (NOT WORK SAFE)

Moscovite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am sort of new to this. My company sells luxury Swiss watches on line. I started working on new ways to advertise my Swiss watches and the response has been phenomenal, but I still feel like I could improve quite a bit. Here's a couple of pics we took, any critique is welcome. KEEP IN MIND: we don't have a studio or professional lights, although that is in the plans. Thanks everyone!

6f_1_sbol.JPG

b2_1_sbol.JPG

04_1_sbol.JPG

well . . . for one i would like to see some detail in the face of the watch, that isn't overexposed.

since its face is glass and appears to be completely white and she is not, you might get the watch off of her, and put it somewhere you can limit the light in order to SEE IT.

Actually, on the actual large photo you can see the detail of the watch really well, I just didn't wat to submit too big of a file

Love the 3rd photo, although I think it would have benefited from some eye contact. Quite like the 2nd, although the break in the backdrop (the horizontal change of colours is distracting). The first is okay but I don't think the low angle is flattering to an otherwise lovely model.

I agree with Mike. If you are going to shoot watches, then I'd use them as the proper subject. You can still glam it up by putting one on the wrist of a model with her arm across her breasts (but all I would expect to see is the arm and the covered breasts not the whole model).

I agree with most comments here!

If you don't know it is about watches, you would not realise ;) The watch looks a bit like an excuse to show the girl ;)

What if you had the watch close up and in focus in the foreground, and the model slightly off focus in the background in dim light.

If I just look at it as pictures showing the model, then I would comment that the face is out of focus and I do not like to see the bed ending in the upper part of image 1 and 3. you should get a different background for 2 (either show some blurred interior of the bedroom there, ot just something without much structure in just one colour or a gradient at max.)

That is actually exactly how we started. The 'model' is my fiance, one morning she walked into my office (I work out of the spare room in my house) and I said 'hey let's try this'.
77_1_sbl.JPG

and the rest in history (I know the background sucks, this was literally the first photo we took like this)
SIDENOTE: I think this is the neatest photo I've taken of a watch alone, tell me what you think!
e2_1_sbol.JPG

I must admit your work is quite good if as you say you are relatively new at this sort of thing. I must agree with "Alex_B's" comments though. Initially, you can't tell what you are advertising, and secondly always remember, your advertising sets the mode for what you are selling. It seems to me a little "risque" for selling prestige watches. Following what "Alex_B" posted, I did a revamp from you images, trust you don't mind.

6f_1_sbol.jpg

www.philipweirphotography.com

No, don't mind at all! Thanks! Was the idea to have the model that much out of focus, though? Also, what about these:

75_1_sbol.JPG

and the color, pre-edited version:

28_1_sbol.JPG

Moscovite said:
No, don't mind at all! Thanks! Was the idea to have the model that much out of focus, though? Also, what about these:

Yes it was "Moscovite" I felt it better to be a little ethereal, rather than having an emphasis on the young lady, even though she looks great. I also not only softened but added a grain to to the image. New shots not as good as the previous. May have worked better being a close up, have done a sample attached.

28_1_sbol.jpg

www.philipweirphotography.com

I think your first shot (the first one in the second set of pictures) would do well in black and white, especially since the watch in that one is so suited for monochrome. But I'd like to see an even tighter crop on that one - it's more obvious that it's about the watch, but the pretty girl still competes with it.

The last two you posted are good.......BUT......to improve your pics for advertising you should make the focal point the watch. Even if she is well lets say undressed.

I am not saying you should change your photos just make the eye go towards the watch. More sparkle, detail, etc.

im finding the backgrounds on these a little distracting...

on the first couple, the bed she is lying on comes to an abrupt end, leaving a harsh, dark line acros the top. I think it would look better and more professional if the blanket/sheet filled all the frame. If you cant re-shoot it like that, you could always use the clone tool in photoshop to do it.

the background on the last ones looks too much in focus, for me it detracts attention from the the main subject. Maybe try placing the model further away from the backdrop to make it appear softer

mysteryscribe said:
I was intrigued by phillips rendering but Im a bit more traditional so I gave it a shot with a different pose

I like this one, like it ALOT! Man, where was I about a month ago when I was raking my brain... Should've joined the forum sooner!

Most reactions

Back