Point and Shoot Cameras are Basically Dead

dolina

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Point-and-Shoot-Cameras-are-Basically-Dead-800x420.jpg

Almost every major camera manufacturer has either openly discontinued its point-and-shoot line of cameras or has not produced a new one in many years, according to a new report. In short, smartphones have all but totally replaced compact cameras.

The compact camera market, colloquially known as point-and-shoot cameras, has been experiencing a massive collapse in worldwide shipments over the last decade and a half. Since 2008, when worldwide shipments reached 110.7 million cameras, the market has significantly shrunk and fallen to 3.01 million units as of 2021 — a 97% drop.

Nikkei reports that in response to the market’s contraction, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Fujifilm, and Sony have all either dramatically scaled back productions or outright admitted that there will be no further compact cameras.
“Although we are shifting to higher-end models, we have strong support for lower-end models, and will continue to develop and produce them as long as there is demand,” Canon tells Nikkei.

Canon denies that it isn’t planning to make new compact cameras, but it hasn’t released a new one since 2019.
Sony’s response echoes Canon’s and the company says that it is not discontinuing new product development in the compact camera space, although Nikkei notes the company hasn’t made a new “Cyber-Shot” camera — its compact camera line — since 2019.

Nikkei reports that Nikon has stopped developing cameras that would fall under its “Coolpix” line, the company’s branding for compact point-and-shoot style cameras. Nikon tells Nikkei that it still sells two high-magnification models and that future production volume will be determined by the market, which as noted, isn’t growing.

Panasonic, which at one point owned the top share of Japan’s compact camera market, tells Nikkei that it has been reducing the volume of point-and-shoots that it has been producing over the last several years in response to the shrinking market. Additionally, while it plans to keep making current compact cameras for the time being, it will focus on developing high-end mirrorless cameras aimed at enthusiasts and professionals, including a camera that it plans to release next year that it is developing in conjunction with Leica.

Nikkei claims Fujifilm has ceased production on its compact camera line “FinePix” and is not actively developing new models for it, instead focusing its efforts on higher-end models like the X100V and above.

Ricoh, which owns the Pentax brand, and OM Digital aren’t mentioned in the story, but Ricoh seems unfazed by the market contraction and has notably released two point-and-shoot cameras in the last year: the WG-80 and the GR IIIx (and later along with its special edition). Ricoh seems immune to making decisions in line with market trends, as it has also stubbornly refused to make a mirrorless Pentax camera, going so far as to say that the brand “cannot go mirrorless.”

It has been a long, slow process, but the death of the point-and-shoot appears all but complete at the hands of the smartphone, whose imaging capabilities manufacturers continue to improve.

Click here for the point & shoot cameras released in the last 5 years.

Below are the number of models released per year

My Lumix TZ 200 may be classed as a point and shoot but it can outclass any smart phone....:encouragement:

Point-and-Shoot-Cameras-are-Basically-Dead-800x420.jpg

Almost every major camera manufacturer has either openly discontinued its point-and-shoot line of cameras or has not produced a new one in many years, according to a new report. In short, smartphones have all but totally replaced compact cameras.

The compact camera market, colloquially known as point-and-shoot cameras, has been experiencing a massive collapse in worldwide shipments over the last decade and a half. Since 2008, when worldwide shipments reached 110.7 million cameras, the market has significantly shrunk and fallen to 3.01 million units as of 2021 — a 97% drop.

Nikkei reports that in response to the market’s contraction, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Fujifilm, and Sony have all either dramatically scaled back productions or outright admitted that there will be no further compact cameras.
“Although we are shifting to higher-end models, we have strong support for lower-end models, and will continue to develop and produce them as long as there is demand,” Canon tells Nikkei.

Canon denies that it isn’t planning to make new compact cameras, but it hasn’t released a new one since 2019.
Sony’s response echoes Canon’s and the company says that it is not discontinuing new product development in the compact camera space, although Nikkei notes the company hasn’t made a new “Cyber-Shot” camera — its compact camera line — since 2019.

Nikkei reports that Nikon has stopped developing cameras that would fall under its “Coolpix” line, the company’s branding for compact point-and-shoot style cameras. Nikon tells Nikkei that it still sells two high-magnification models and that future production volume will be determined by the market, which as noted, isn’t growing.

Panasonic, which at one point owned the top share of Japan’s compact camera market, tells Nikkei that it has been reducing the volume of point-and-shoots that it has been producing over the last several years in response to the shrinking market. Additionally, while it plans to keep making current compact cameras for the time being, it will focus on developing high-end mirrorless cameras aimed at enthusiasts and professionals, including a camera that it plans to release next year that it is developing in conjunction with Leica.

Nikkei claims Fujifilm has ceased production on its compact camera line “FinePix” and is not actively developing new models for it, instead focusing its efforts on higher-end models like the X100V and above.

Ricoh, which owns the Pentax brand, and OM Digital aren’t mentioned in the story, but Ricoh seems unfazed by the market contraction and has notably released two point-and-shoot cameras in the last year: the WG-80 and the GR IIIx (and later along with its special edition). Ricoh seems immune to making decisions in line with market trends, as it has also stubbornly refused to make a mirrorless Pentax camera, going so far as to say that the brand “cannot go mirrorless.”

It has been a long, slow process, but the death of the point-and-shoot appears all but complete at the hands of the smartphone, whose imaging capabilities manufacturers continue to improve.
No matter the camera, point and shoot style is alive and well!

Last 6 years worldwide shipments of digital still cameras.

Year201720182019202020212022 forecast
Total Cameras24,978,48619,423,37115,216,9578,886,2928,361,5217,850,000
Point & Shoot13,302,7978,663,5746,755,4673,578,6433,013,2502,560,000
Total SLR & Mirrorless11,675,68910,759,7978,461,4905,307,6495,348,2715,290,000
SLR7,595,7086,620,9994,504,9872,374,5692,241,772-
Mirrorless4,079,9814,138,7983,956,5032,933,0803,106,499-

Last edited:
Last 6 years worldwide shipments of digital still cameras.

Year20172018201920202021
Total Cameras24,978,48619,423,37115,216,9578,886,2928,361,521
Point & Shoot13,302,7978,663,5746,755,4673,578,6433,013,250
Total SLR & Mirrorless11,675,68910,759,7978,461,4905,307,6495,348,271
SLR7,595,7086,620,9994,504,9872,374,5692,241,772
Mirrorless4,079,9814,138,7983,956,5032,933,0803,106,499
ZZZzzz...

That lack of P&S cameras is of no concern to me. If I want one I'd buy a Ricoh GRIII for discrete street shooting.

Wait a minute, I thought the cameraphone made the DSLR obsolete? Now the P&S? Oh the humanity. :stung:

If people don't buy them, there's no reason to design and make new ones. As much as I used to like having a pocket camera, everywhere, all the time, in my pocket, I find there's a divide now. Junk photo for the moment = phone. Good photo DSLR. Oh sure I still have that A1200 somewhere, but I also have an Osmo Pocket2 and a EOS-M.

P&S Just kind of fell out of being taken along. On the other hand, I can still see someone who has one taking it along to some family event, if they want better photos. I mean kind of like larger format vs a tiny photo sensor. I don't know how much people care or how much they make prints anymore?

Sharing isn't photos, it's digital. And I mean, if I was making prints, or trying for better pictures, where I had more control, (not using what I do use, but imagining I'm just someone taking family photos) I'd still want a P&S over a phone.

Some company will come up with a compact mirrorless, and tap into that, because it's an advance in the technology and they have already developed everything. I don't see a big market demand for a new model, other than that possibly, for people who want the latest and the best, but still want a purse or pocket camera. Not a new and more expensive phone.

Huh, I just bought a P&S Sony Cybershot (an older used one) because I wanted a pocket camera instead of using my phone. Wouldn’t mind getting a couple more to just leave in the car.

The gas pedal has replaced the buggy whip. Tell me it aint so, Joe. It's called progress. How many new selectric type writers were introduced lately? My first cell phone had a box in the trunk and a cord to the handset in the console. How many new ones like that were produced last year. In the early 1900's some guy name Eastman replaced the glass plate with film coated with gel. He introduced the box camera and ended professional photography... not. It did what the cell phone has done 100 years later, opened photography to a wider market.

The question on everyone's mind is how the sales numbers related to online forums like ThePhotoForum 📷 Film & Digital Photography Forum

Less camera sold = less new members to sign up.
I think the sales numbers of cameras is related to a decrease in interest and with the technology former leaps and bounds slowing to a crawl, fewer new toy purchases. I thought the husband and wife you tubers who reviewed new gear in a recent video were going to cry over the change. There is less and less new gear to review. In the early 2000's as digital took off, it attracted the computer geeks to what was previously an artist/chemist pursuit. With fewer and fewer new toys to lust after and smaller and smaller improvement with each new release, I wonder if they have lost interest. Upside is this could mean more low mileage, cheap used gear. Meanwhile, my film gear is appreciating and the cost of film is soaring. $13 a roll for Kodak portra. I wonder if they are laughing about digital in Rochester now as they can't keep up with demand.

Some interesting camera shipment stats

Smartphones vs film & digital still cameras

Digital camers: dSLR vs Mirrorless vs Point & Shoots (no smartphone)

rSOudXP.png

Digital camers: dSLR vs Mirrorless (no smartphone or point & shoot)

8T1R2Lv.png

Most reactions

New Topics

Back