Point and Shoot Cameras are Basically Dead

Not quite obsolete or dead. Just not as popular. But I know of a couple of photographers who got point and shoot cameras recently to use to shoot underwater (like snorkeling). And I'm not sure how I see a phone replacing that capability.

No question if anyone has any camera on hand today they may use it for a good decade or longer.

But by 2030s or 2040s I wonder... will point & shoots & SLRs still be sold?

If not then the alternatives may be smartphones in an underwater enclosure or mirrorless camera.

A lot of things have improved in iPhones and Android models released in 2022 & 2023.

I was looking for this marketing data for so so long and finally got around to it.

Above screenshot is the units shipped in 2006 worldwide for consumer devices like

- game consoles
- digital cameras
- MP3 players
- PCs
- mobile phones

Smartphones at best reduced or at worst completely killed all the listed devices in 2006.

Video consoles have reduced

Consumer & low-end consumer digital cameras are dead & only high-end specialized or professional are left at a total of less than 8.012 million.

x8CyZ3k.png

MP3 players have become extinct like the iPod

PC sales have only resurged from 2020-2022 because of COVID remote work/study

50F6bRE.png

Mobile phones have become nearly 100% iPhone or Android. The original Nokia feature phones of old are relegated to people who cannot afford a $50 Android phone.

iPhones makes up more than 226 million to 235 million. This represents 17.3-18.8% of the market priced between $429-1599. Apple being at the top ~20% follows the Pareto Principle. Which allows Apple to grab top ~80% smartphone profit share for multiple years in a row. This also helps avoid the legal definition of monopoly for almost all countries.

Android is approximately 1 billion. This represents 82.7-81.2% of the market at all price points. Most brands struggle to get any profit resulting in very short Security Updates of about 1-2 years only when iPhone approaches 8.

Those waiting for the replacement of the 2020 Canon EOS R5 body will have to wait for as late as July 2024 for an announcement and November 2024 to be on the shelf.

So at most a 20 month wait.

Last edited:
Point and shoot cameras are more plentiful and capable than ever before ... and built into smartphones.

Cellphones are terrible with ergonomics. You can't see the screen in bright sunlight. They're hard to hold and press the shutter. There's no eye viewfinder. The flash is too low.

Cellphones are terrible with ergonomics. You can't see the screen in bright sunlight. They're hard to hold and press the shutter. There's no eye viewfinder. The flash is too low.

You know, I cannot remember ever dropping a real camera while taking pictures, or even just handling one. I have dropped my Xperia 10 iii phone twice while taking pictures. One of those resulted in a "nicked" front screen. Phones are very awkward when held to take pictures, and poking the screen to activate the shutter makes it even worse.

You know, I cannot remember ever dropping a real camera while taking pictures, or even just handling one. I have dropped my Xperia 10 iii phone twice while taking pictures. One of those resulted in a "nicked" front screen. Phones are very awkward when held to take pictures, and poking the screen to activate the shutter makes it even worse.
My cellphone takes verbal commands like "smile" to trip the shutter. It's easier than pressing the screen.

If it is raining, or WET, I take my waterproof Olympus TG P&S.
I am NOT going to take my phone, outside into the rain.

phones have their place and yes have ate into camera markets. I'll still take my GRiii almost any day & usually keep it in the car for 'emergencies'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back