Newbie needs help.

WI New Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, I've been reading these forums for a couple months, and I think you guys and gals are great. I've got a little problem, and I was hoping you could help. I just bought a used 40d on ebay. This was an upgrade for my rebel XT. I also ordered 2 new lenses from Adorama, a 50mm 1.8 and a 55-250 IS. I got the lenses a few days ago, and I love them, especially the 50mm.
So I get the camera today, take it out of the box, slap on the 55-250, and shoot a couple pics. Everything worked great. I put on the 50mm, and it wont AF. I made sure it was set to AF, I tried it on the rebel, works fine. Put it back on the 40d, nothing. So I tried the 18-55 kit lens from the rebel, nothing. Put the 55-250 back on and it works fine. I checked the manual, but I can't find anything. Why would one lens work but two others not?
Any help would be great. Thanks.

I've been looking all day for an answer. But no luck. I took the lens off to box it back up and noticed this. The third pin from the right doesn't seem as high as the rest . Could this be the problem? I don't have another 40d to compair it to. If someone could take a look and see, I would be greatful.

028.jpg

I hope I did this right.

I do not know if that is the problem or not. But at least the pins in my 40D have the same height. In other words, the 3rd pin from the right is as tall as the 1st or the 2nd one.

Those 3 pins are all the same height on both of my bodies too (350D and 10s).

If that's not the problem - maybe AF is set to another button (custom function), the * button, I think.

I thought it might be the custom function thing too, so I changed everything back to default. No change.
The weird thing is, if the pin is the problem, why does one of my lenses work?

I thought it might be the custom function thing too, so I changed everything back to default. No change.
The weird thing is, if the pin is the problem, why does one of my lenses work?
It could be just barely making contact on that one lens.

How hard would that pin be to fix. There are no camera shops anywhere near me. Or am I better off sending that in? There are a couple of small screws on both sides of the pins. It looks like it would come apart easy enough.

You might be able to unscrew the retainer holding the pins in and clean it or the pin...

Getting it apart shouldn't be a problem, getting it back together might be. I've never taken one of my cameras apart, so I don't really know how hard it will be. Those pins might be a little tricky to get lined up and in their proper place again...

How hard would that pin be to fix. There are no camera shops anywhere near me. Or am I better off sending that in? There are a couple of small screws on both sides of the pins. It looks like it would come apart easy enough.

Is the WI New guy as in Wisconsin New Guy? Is so, where are you from?

You know, I didn't read the first post and just saw the picture, and thought... wow, nice pic.

Keep up the good work :)

Yeah Hank, I'm from Wisconsin. Rhinelander.

And thanks blash.

Most reactions

Back