newbie needs some advice please

mamakudu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All. new to the forum so hope I do this right! I am looking at upgrading from my little point and shoot to something more advanced. I originally set my sights on a canon 450D on the advice of a friend, but I can't help feeling this may be above my station. I am thinking perhaps a Nikon D3000 - am I right in thinking this is more entry level?

I have seen an offer for this camera, together with a 4g memory card, an extra battery and a Tamron 70-300mm lens. The camera comes with a 18-55 Nikkor lens. This is for R7599 - about $985.

My question is: is this a good bundle? The Tamron lens seems to have received mixed reviews. I can get the basic camera with the kit lens for R4999, (no other extras)and I'm wondering if the lens is worth it or if I should rather wait until I know the camera and go for a better quality lens.

Would this be a good camera for someone upgrading? I essentially just like taking nice photos, and don't plan to go into business at all, hence me feeling it would be a good place to start.

many thanks in advance for the advice!

but I can't help feeling this may be above my station.
Quick caution. When I upgraded from P&S to DSLR, I quickly felt I needed more controls and features. It depends how much you are going to get into this hobby. If you start learning and enjoying all the possibilities of a real camera, the D5000 may quickly feel insufficient. My first DSLR was a Nikon D50 and I quickly exchanged it for a D70s which had a lot more manual controls, a top screen separate dials etc. The cameras with more controls make things easier, not harder. That said, from what I have seen the D5000 is a great camera, and you would enjoy it, if that's the way you decide to go.
(I just realized I don't know how to properly quote your message, sorry. I'm not up on all this technology you kids use nowadays, with your eight track tapes and your Rock'n roll music...)

Thanks for the quick response, and advice re my changeover. Just a bit confused - do you mean the D3000 or D5000? is the D5000 not pretty much top of the range, and the D3000 entry level, or am I swimming in mud here? I see what you are saying about the wish to go further, and that is a concern of mine. This was why I aimed for a higher level in the first place, then changed my mind, but maybe I should change it back again! :lol: It's taken me years to get myself to be brave enough to splash out on a good camera, so really want to make the right choice! Thanks for your help.:thumbup:

Hey,
Sorry I was not very familiar with which was which 3000 vs 5000. You are correct, my point is to go for the most advanced controls-wise you can afford, if you think you will get deeper and further into this hobby.
Just remember to try and spend more time taking pictures than thinking about the equipment...

Most reactions

Back