What's new

newbie question about lighting for repetitive stills

ruafreebird

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 2, 2014
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Floral City, Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a brand new member and novice photographer! I originally searched for such a forum because I had a photography question. I'm glad I found it. It looks like it will be very useful. Even though I have not officially introduced myself yet, I will use this first post to ask my question. Perhaps it belongs on another forum? If so, plz lmk.

I am trying to stage a set where I can take quick, repeated still shots of baseball cards. I have over 20k and want to catalog them. Good photos of each are a must! Snapping photos is faster than scanning them and hopefully will result in a better quality.

I will be using a FujiFilm FinePix SL1000 mounted on a tripod facing the black top of my desk. Unfortunately, the SL1000 does not have a shutter release cord. :(

I will place the individual cards, one at a time in a premarked spot under the lens. The method is quicker than using a scanner. However, I am having trouble with lighting. There is a table lamp about three feet from the camera. I have taken shots with it on, and with it off using the flash. Neither of them are good enough. I am shooting in SP-Auto mode. Should I set the camera up in Manual or Advanced with specific settings? Should I make a light box and use daylight bulbs?

I appreciate any and all suggestions and advice.
 
I've seen such photography using two lights, one on either side of the subject. I think these are more powerful than an ordinary table lamp.

At least set up two work lights with reflectors fairly close to your setup, aimed downward toward the card position.
 
I like the light box idea! Although I've never been lucky enough to use one, it sounds like it would work like a charm for your project.

As for the remote release, my camera doesn't have a spot for one either but it will take an IR remote. I just got mine on amazon for only $6 or so with free prime shipping. I'd be willing to be yours will accept one as well!
 
Have you looked into scanners with auto-feed attachments such as are used for scanning slides? I don't know if there is one available that would accept baseball cards, but I wouldn't be surprised. It might also be easier to do a 9 or 12 up of the cards, and then just 'cut' the scan apart into indvidual cards in Photoshop.

Assuming however that there is not, I would look for a light tent similar to this one (there are a million of 'em on eBay, Amazon, etc). What you want is a diffused light source that isn't going to cause specular reflections on the card.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom