newbie question.

with the lense extended does the tube gather dust or say a drop of water and take it back into the lense when it is brought back in from zoom?

All zoom lenses will get some dust inside over time due to the "Breathing" when the tube is zoomed. So far I've never had it cause a problem.

Water, I don't know. Mine don't get exposed to water.

I have the Sigma 150-500 and dollar for dollar it's going to be tough to beat.

I have been wondering about that one. My concern is night sports and that f/6.3... which lead me to the Canon options... I am torn between buying one or trying to use a converter. I think a converter coupled with my 70-200 would be better for me than the 6.3... but I just don't know. Could you move closer so I could try yours out, Please?.

The Sigma is far too slow. That's why I own a 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f2.8. I wouldn't waste my time with a TC either. The 2X is marginal in IQ and very slow for night sports. The 1.4 will give reasonably good IQ but still pretty slow for under the lights.

Our home field lights are really pretty good. I can get away with shooting at 4.5 to 5.6. Other fields? Not so much. My home field is my biggest concern. I think the 400 would be a great addition, but seeing how I have to shoot both near and far I'd then have to have 2 bodies. Which is fine-used to do that. EXCEPT... now I am working with a 5d2 as my second body. That thing is a nightmare in low light for focus add to that it's slow for sports... YACK!
I also think that if I buy the 1.4 I am only out a few hundred bucks and I'll probably use it a little here and there anyway. I shoot sports, but not high end. At my age? I REALLY doubt I'd go high end.

thx ScubaDude now I know what I am getting and thank's to all the other's.....

I shoot in the mountains of New Mexico and wouldn't use anything less than 400mm glass. Usually I am using 600mm or 800mm glass. It is never good to be too close to bears, mountain lions and such.

Can you share with us some of these images?

Remember, the 100-400 is a push-pull zoom. Personally, that drives me crazy compared to a standard zoom ring. I'm also very satisfied with my 2x TC + 70-200, which gives me a 140-400 f/5.6 IS, but that's quite a bit more expensive than either zoom mentioned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back