Newbie, questions about become professional photographer

I had the same concerns but went for it anyways. Some of it is basic - which is good in a way because it filled in a few holes for me. For instance, I had never heard the term hyperfocal distance before which is one of the pitfalls of being self taught. I actually think a newbie would be really challenged by the information. For someone more advanced, it's a nice refresher plus, it's filling in the gaps in my knowlege. The great thing is that you can do the course at your own pace. Honestly, I haven't even watched the videos. The audio tapes and books seem to be plenty but I will eventually bust out the videos to see if I have missed anything. They have you fill out a questionaire that you send in with your first projects. I was tempted to say very little about my experience at first but decided that honesty was better. The instructor that I was assigned to made a comment on my first review about my experience and let me know that he was going to be able to push me harder and give me more indepth critiques than he could a rank beginner. That's good since that will help me to get better from my current level intead of having to start at the bottom and work my way back up. Just so you have an idea, the first 3 assignments were

Expressing a sense of speed
Selective focus
Landscape using hyperfocal distance

Hope this info helps. :D

Thanks goddess for submitting your experience with the school.

However..
markc wrote:
My only concern is if it's going to be too geared towards beginners to help me out. The fact that they go into the business aspects is a major draw for me, so even if I don't get much out of it on the artistic side for whatever reason, I'm hoping the business knowledge it would offer would be worth it.

So is it more on sales rather than the actual, needed techniques??

I would prefer a blend of both.

They give you a booklet that lists places (ideas) of where and how to market and sell your work. There is also a booklet of how to open your own studio which includes marketing info. The lesson topics pretty much cover everything photographic and I would assume that there is mention (likely quite a bit) of marketability of photos and how and where to do it. But there doesn't seem to be an entire lesson that is geared to that. Even so, I consider the NYIP program to be valueable even if they never mentioned sales and marketing.

There are some pretty good websites that help fill in whatever gaps the NYIP program leaves.

I understand that sales in an ingredient in this course, but my query was , Is it more sales talk than the actual photopgraphy or a nice blend of both?[/i]

No idea yet since I have only just finished the first 3 booklets. Lots more to go. Maybe there is someone else on the forum that is farther along in the program.

Okay...but thus far you are pleased and you think it would be a challenge to a freshie, right?

Good!

Ok, so I have obviously been MIA while things got really interesting. I actually ran across NYIP online and wondered about it. What is the cost? Also, about how long is the course (I know that it is self paced, but how many units and how intensive are the assignments)? I am still in school (well I'm officially on leave this semester, but I will be back in classes in the Fall) and will probably take a photography course in school, I think this sounds very interesting.

photogoddess, are you pursuing the Professional Photography course OR the Digital Photography Course with NYIP?

I do not have an SLR. I only have a DSLR. Which course do you think I could take?? -Digital ??
If so, is it more on PhotoShop? Or do they teach how to focus:) in the digital course??
For the prof. photog course, is it mandatory that one needs to have a normal SLR??
What is it that you suggest? Since you are a seasoned photg, I'm sure you must be having tons of equipment and all you have to do is pick, be it digital or analog:) for the course.

How would you guide me on this? Will NYIP's door still be open for this thirsty wannabe serious photog??! :?

danalec99 said:
I do not have an SLR. I only have a DSLR. Which course do you think I could take?? -Digital ??
If so, is it more on PhotoShop? Or do they teach how to focus:) in the digital course??
For the prof. photog course, is it mandatory that one needs to have a normal SLR??
What is it that you suggest? Since you are a seasoned photg, I'm sure you must be having tons of equipment and all you have to do is pick, be it digital or analog:) for the course.

How would you guide me on this? Will NYIP's door still be open for this thirsty wannabe serious photog??! :?

The fundamentals of photography apply to both digital and film. There are things that you can do with both and then there are things that are unique to both. Since I am not familiar with NYIPs digital program, it's hard to make a judgement. I don't think that it would make a lot of sense for NYIP to make the two courses identical. Then they wouldn't be able to get some of their Professional program graduates enroll in the digital program and the other way around. So, that said, I would imagine that the digital program touches on traditional photography but likely focuses on the things that are unique to digital. Best bet would be to call the school and ask them. In the professional program, they stress that you use whatever equipment that you currently have. Whether it is a digital cam, a point & shoot or a bronica. They even go as far to tell students NOT to buy any equipment in the first 3 books. For what it's worth, I feel that it is a valuable program for beginners and seasoned photogs alike.

FYI - I do have different equipment to chose from - now. But that wasn't always the case. My first "pro" jobs were done with whatever I could borrow. As I got better jobs, it was whatever I could borrow or rent. I didn't even have a point and shoot back then but managed just fine.

Learning on a digital camera has it's advantages. If you are way off or right on, you have the ability of knowing it right away. :)

OK now to the guys (and gals) that have the question on the focus of the course, it is mostly basetd on photograpy, and some chapters on tips of the trade, but it IS a photography course... I loved it, the videos weren't as much help as the booklets and the audio tapes....

how much money are we talking here?? is it gonna leave a huge dent in wallet to enroll?? i really want to give this program a try.....how much?? $$

Most reactions

Back